Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Seriously Idiotic Parrot Owners

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Seriously Idiotic Parrot Owners

Postby Kathleen » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:06 am

There is some controversy about it, that the parrot may hold it in until you tell it the command to go. I have watched Kili, Michael's parrot, fly away to a perch, use the perch like a toilet, and then fly back to him after a few minutes. He says he never really formally trained this, it's just interesting!!
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Postby oknuma » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:17 pm

Michael wrote:Smoking is a choice. So is owning a parrot. No one is mandated to do either. So if someone chooses to smoke, they absolutely should not have the choice to own the parrot. The parrot would be void of choice to breath fresh air.

ok granted I have not seen the videos ( cant watch youtube from work) and so i could be jumping the gun here, I could even be misinterpreting the post above but..

Smoking is a choice you are right, not all smokers though are inconsiderate idiots.
I smoke, have done it off an on for years. yes its gross and nasty but it is a choice I had and an addiction I choose not to battle. I however smoke outside only , heck my children dont even see me smoke because its only after they are in bed or when I am at work. Are you saying though that because of that I should not have a bird?
~~Oknuma - mum to two human kids, 1 feathered kid and one furry kid~~
oknuma
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Currently Eastern Rosella - Batman

Postby Michael » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:46 pm

You have to understand that parrots have really fragile respiratory systems. While smoking or overheated teflon may carry only long term effects on humans, they are deadly to parrots. I don't feel it is my place to say whether you should smoke or not. That is by all means your choice. However, the parrot has no say in the matter. I believe it is unfair to a parrot to be denied fresh air because of a choice the owner makes. I think that if you love your parrot (all other people and matters aside), you should stop smoking for its sake. I understand that can be difficult but smoking is really just too harmful for the parrot. It may be pleasing to the smoker but absolutely in no way such to the parrot. I think it's just unfair to the animal. The animal cannot speak for itself so I feel the least I can do is come in its defense, nothing personal against you.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby oknuma » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:02 pm

but Michael you seem to make the assumption that my batman lives in this smoke filled room.
She has an air purifier (because I am aware of their respiratory needs) and I smoke elsewhere. I change before contact with her and wash msyelf as well.

Just fyi but the same things go for my children as well.

As I mentioned not all smokers are inconsiderate. I think that more smokers need to be taught of what is in their environment and learn to be a lot more considerate but to make a blanket statement in my opinion is really quite offensive and wont encourage people to learn either.
oknuma
Cockatiel

Postby miajag » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:17 am

I'm really amazed by how many videos there are on youtube of people letting their parrots drink coffee. Though, would it be OK if it were decaf?
miajag
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar

Postby MissLady9902 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:08 am

no, even decaf coffee has caffeine in it!
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:44 am

I haven't seen these videos but it seems absolutely disgusting! Even if it weren't coffee specifically, the parrot could easily burn its tongue on a hot drink. I really don't see why people want to give their parrot everything. As much as it is smart and like a part of the family, it's anatomy is still parrot!
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby PRD » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:27 pm

On the streets of Paramaribo, capital of Surinam, u can find young kids selling parrots, iguana's and monkeys they caught. The iguana's are for consumption, the parrot and monkey are sold as pets. Here is a video of some kids selling parrots and a monkey. The parrots goes for 25 SRD, which is less then $10,-. The monkey goes for 75 SRD, which is less then $30,-.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHOjjVxJ_Eg&feature=player_embedded
Flock off!!
PRD
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure
Brown throat conure
Sun conure

Postby MissLady9902 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:21 pm

That's so sad. If I were there I'd buy all the parrots and then just let them go!
You can hear the amazons making their scared upset noise.
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby oknuma » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:31 pm

MissLady9902 wrote:That's so sad. If I were there I'd buy all the parrots and then just let them go!
You can hear the amazons making their scared upset noise.

the only problem with doing that , no matter how noble it seems to be, is that it perpetuates the problem which means next time more birds will be caught in the hopes that a knight in shining armour will again come and purchase them.
oknuma
Cockatiel

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet