Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Seriously Idiotic Parrot Owners

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Seriously Idiotic Parrot Owners

Postby sora no tori » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:07 pm

Here's another one. Love what he says about having his bird out at dusk. Seriously, it's a miracle he still has this bird. Wonder if he even realizes that he is actually teaching his bird to fly into trees in the first place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1uufWPB ... ure=relmfu
Image Conrad- Senegal
My shoulder is not complete unless a bird is resting there.
sora no tori
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby cornettocockatiel » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:25 pm

these definitely are idiotic parrot owners! :lol:
cornettocockatiel
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie
Chicken
Cockatiel

Postby Khaiqha » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:53 pm

I wouldn't classify free flying parrots as bad care, as long as the person and parrot are trained. If the owner is an idiot and tossing the bird outside and hoping for the best, well that's bad.

Though I may have missed the point. Are you guys saying free flying is bad, or that particular case is bad?
Khaiqha
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:13 pm

While that guy had made many mistakes at first, he was well aware by the time he made that video. He freeflight trained that parrot to fly to trees and come back to him quite well. Unfortunately it got attacked by a hawk one day but was lucky to survive. Dunno what he has been up to lately though.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby felix11 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:01 am

Pony and I free fly outside. Of course, flying outdoors is exposing your bird to a hell of a lot more risks than it would ever face living indoors. But it is also a hell of a lot more enriching for her. I know it seems really obvious but it only really hit me when I started free flying - a tree is a huge, complex play gym, often with healthy tidbits growing on it and masse of foraging material.

It took a good 7 months with a young bird to get to a stage where I completely trust that her flight AND mental skills are competent enough to deal with any pressures that might arise.
Felix
felix11
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Crimson Bellied Conure
Superb Parrot

Postby Khaiqha » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:01 am

I too wonder what happened to Apollo. I've been toying with the idea of free flight with my irn, and whenever I get my grey. That would just have to depend on so many things though.
Khaiqha
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine

Postby CaitlinRice413 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:57 pm

:macaw:
Last edited by CaitlinRice413 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaitlinRice413
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Maria » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:41 am

I can see how this thread might be educational, some of it. But otherwise, myself, I would not want to watch parrots/birds or any animal, for that matter, getting abused or mistreated.

A good purpose would also be to post comments on youtube on their videos, educating them of the dangers to birds of whatever these things they're doing to them/with them, as a goal toward an effort to get them not to do it anymore. - especially for the birds' sakes. :D

Yes, regarding human saliva, that's also why they say do not kiss your bird with your mouth, or be very careful with tightly closed lips, making sure no saliva is accessible at all, or your nose to their nose cuddle kiss type of thing. The normal bacteria in our mouths/saliva, can kill a bird. They can get bad infections.
Maria
Maria
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Headed Amazon
Flight: No

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet