Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Seriously Idiotic Parrot Owners

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Seriously Idiotic Parrot Owners

Postby Crazy Bird Lady » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:53 pm

Michael - i do think people can smoke and own a parrot - i do myself.... I choose to smoke outside, and have done so for 10 years. I also consider my outdoor aviary budgies, and i will smoke in the backyard only if the wind direction is right, as well as staying well away from them, or i will go out the front of the house. Also, my ashtray is a jar with a lid on it, to protect wild birds/creatures from getting into it.
I also wash my hands and face after each ciggarette, and most importantly, i keep my ciggarettes out of reach of my cockatiels - i wouldnt want them to find any trace of my tobacco in the house, as i am well aware of how toxic nicotine is.
I think that air quality is really important for birds, and i try my best to give them fresh heathy air.
I can appreciate the irony of caring so much about my birds air/health yet i I drastically reduce my own air quality/health by smoking. my air quality is important too - i am working on beating this addiction - so please people, dont give me a hard time about smoking! It really is an evil product in so many ways, and shoudnt even be legal and so readily available.
parrots arent mere ornaments, and they're hardly "just a pet" they are intelligent and emotional creatures who want our companionship. As a bird owner, its a pleasure to make my parrots lives as happy, enriched and healthy as possible
Crazy Bird Lady
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: 5 Budgies and 2 Cockatiels
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:58 pm

Well I complement you on the efforts you make for your birds although I'm sure they'd appreciate it even more if you did not smoke at all. However, I think most people who smoke and have parrots DO NOT go through these kinds of efforts and practically smoke on their parrot. I've heard of a parrot with major plucking issues and disgusting feathers because of the smoke.

Similarly sooo many people use teflon around their parrots without even knowing the harm it can cause them.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Crazy Bird Lady » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:26 pm

Im sure they would appreciate it if i did not smoke at all too. I have no children, so my flock are my babies, and i want to be able to give them the best.
Im not trying to excuse or justify myself for smoking, all i can say is that i have never struggled with anything as much as being addicted to nicotine. I am determined to stop smoking, i just need to keep practicing quitting until i get it right.
I do think that if people smoke they should be responsible for what they are doing, and do their best to prevent any problems other people/creatures may experience - for me especially, disposing of ciggarette butts safely is really important - so many smokers dont care about their butts, and i have seen more than one wild bird try to eat a butt. that makes me so angry.
I really enjoy having access to avian forums and websites where i am continually able to update my bird knowledge and connect with people who have so much experience and great ideas to share. I never would have known about teflon etc without coming online.
Sadly, most people whp own birds keep them as ornaments, and have incredibly little consideration for their bird at all - they just feed them seed and leave them with a mirror toy, on plastic perches, with old dirty water and no free flight abilities. This is really evident on youtube, but also i think that generally people have little regard for birds - they think that because a cockatiel is so cheap, its not worht taking to the vet...
I get called "crazy bird lady" by lots of my friends, because they know how much time and effort i put into caring for my birds, and learning about them. i think what i am doing is the responsible thing to do - and im not claiming that i am a perfect birds owner - im sure there is lots i have to learn, and things i could do better.... but at least im open to it... On the one hand i like being called "crazy bird lady" but i also think that it also goes to show that if people see someone being dedicated to their bird, when the norm is to do just the absolute basics, that you get labelled "crazy" or "excessive". it annoys me that it is somewhat of a joke to see my birds as more than mere property.
parrots arent mere ornaments, and they're hardly "just a pet" they are intelligent and emotional creatures who want our companionship. As a bird owner, its a pleasure to make my parrots lives as happy, enriched and healthy as possible
Crazy Bird Lady
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: 5 Budgies and 2 Cockatiels

Postby windharper » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:04 pm

How about this for gross:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDGYz27i ... re=related
(at about 49 seconds)

And this for being dangerous:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzYQ7N2b2eE&feature=fvw
(at about 23 seconds)

I've stumbled on some others on Youtube too. I guess I spend way too much time there!

Deb
a.k.a. windharper
windharper
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Cockatiel

Postby Kathleen » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:37 pm

I have seen people kiss their dogs on the mouth as well. Deadly or not with dogs, it's still disgusting. All saliva contact with pets should be avoided, especially during this cold/flu season.
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby MandyG » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:11 pm

I really hate seeing people who let their dogs lick their faces and their mouths... I've owned way too many dogs to know what kinds of things they eat/lick! GROSS! I know they say a dog's mouth is cleaner than a human's, but no thanks. Each to their own I guess, but it always makes me cringe and feel a little sick to the stomach.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby MissLady9902 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:56 pm

I don't like it when my dog licks me period.
It's gross. They're pretty good about not licking me. Definitly licking the face is right out.
Bleh! I can't stand it when people let dogs lick their faces.
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby MandyG » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:34 am

Crazy Bird Lady wrote:I do think that if people smoke they should be responsible for what they are doing, and do their best to prevent any problems other people/creatures may experience

I definitely applaud you for the extent you go to protect others from your habit. I've met so many smokers that only care about their addiction and not the others around them including children and pets. I hate to admit that nicotine addiction is very hard to get over. I struggle with it too, but when I do smoke it's never in my house, never in the car that my bird travels in, and I always wash before going anywhere near my bird. What really annoys me is that you can so simply protect those around you by just taking a few extra minutes of your time or by inconveniencing yourself a little bit, but so many people can't bother with the extra effort!

Michael wrote:So if someone chooses to smoke, they absolutely should not have the choice to own the parrot.

Michael, I agree that if somebody chooses to smoke in the same house (or vehicle) as a parrot they absolutely should not have the choice to own a parrot. I'm definitely thankful that some provinces in Canada have made it illegal to smoke in a vehicle with children as well. It's your choice to smoke (or use Teflon) but if you don't care about the health of those that are forced to be in your care you shouldn't be allowed to care for them, IMHO.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Michael » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:52 pm

Some new inductees for the hall of idiotic parrot owners:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeX_pvzWPHY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4reUwQUgK94
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaTlVaBHPtE

I cannot believe people horrible enough to subject their flightless bird to this kind of abuse. It only takes one bite to kill the bird.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby windharper » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:54 pm

I fail to understand how people can watch and laugh when they see their parrot going under a chair or cabinet to get some safe cover from their dogs! Why do they think this is funny?

For the majority of my life I've been a dog owner and my dogs were nice, non-violent dogs. Yet I have a couple of scars from those 'well behaved' pets. It only takes a second for things to go radically wrong. For the parrot, it could be lethal!

Makes me wonder what the leading cause of death is for pet parrots. Dog bites? Owner ignorance?

Deb
a.k.a. windharper
windharper
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Cockatiel

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet