Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Seriously Idiotic Parrot Owners

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Seriously Idiotic Parrot Owners

Postby Margaret » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:09 pm

kaylayuh, we all make our mistakes. What's the most important is to learn from them and don't repeat them.
I let my very first rescued budgie be wild for a long moment, because he was rescued and I felt at that time I didn't want to give him more hard time. Later it was hard to make him social bird- I still have to work on his behavior.
What's bothering me when people treat alive creatures as temporary entertainment or something like that. I can't fully express that, because my English is not good enough(working on it).
What I mean that some dummy people think, that they are human and only they have privileges to be treted with respect. Instead they show no respect for they pets, they mistreated them, etc :evil:
Margaret
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Postby kaylayuh » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:15 pm

my-budgies, I know exactly what you mean. My first interaction with a parrot was a Moluccan cockatoo my parents owned. Sadly, he was a novelty item and whenever they were home, they'd keep his cage covered because he would scream for attention. When I was old enough, I would try to play with him, but by that point he was plucking his feathers and just so miserable that all I could do was sit with him and talk to him otherwise he'd bite me.

So, long story short -- I had always said if I ever owned a bird, I would do the exact opposite of what they did and give my birds all the attention I could. I realized after about two or three days of reading (after I got them) that the teflon coated pans were awful for the birds, and away they went. But I still feel guilty about it!

And if you don't mind me asking, what is your native language?
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby Margaret » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:21 pm

kaylayuh wrote:(...)And if you don't mind me asking, what is your native language?

Polish
Margaret
Conure

Postby captwest » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:36 pm

Well, i think you are doing very well on a 2nd language , you're doing better than a lot of people who's first language is english. :thumbsup:
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels
Flight: No

Postby kaylayuh » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:20 pm

I agree with captwest; I would have never guessed English was your second language!

My grandfather knew a little bit of Polish. He was Czech/Hungarian, though, so he spoke those more. Unfortunately, I only remember a few of the days!
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby Margaret » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:46 pm

I'm sorry for making off-topic
I have to say that people here are very nice(because they're parrot lovers?)
My best language mistake that I'm aware of was when I tried to explain for my doctor that I take my pillow every day before breakfast :lol: Doctor face was unforgettable ;)
Thank Goodness that animals have universal language and they don't mind your language mistakes, they understand you even without talking at all, or by intonation of your voice.
Margaret
Conure

Postby Sarah&Rico » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:10 pm

I was in Cuba last week and we took a trip in town. One of the vendors had his pet parrot..the size of probably a Pionus in an old, dirty, round, small cage, just big enough for a perch and the bird...not one toy. The poor thing was squaking it's head off. I felt so bad for the thing, but unfortunately they probably just don't know any better.
Sarah&Rico
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby zazanomore » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:04 am

In the description, it says "Pardon the videographer, she was high on painkillers"

I hope that bird bit as hard as he could.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby laducockatiel » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:36 am

Yeah, if someone smokes it can clog up the birds lungs and cause them to die! Luckily my parents don't smoke, or I couldn't gets cockatiel. PHEW
My blog: http://the-buzz-online.weebly.com

"If we don't stand for something, we may fall for anything."
- Malcolm X"
laducockatiel
Amazon

Postby sora no tori » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:55 pm

Here's one for you. Now, outdoor flying is something a number of owners do. It's something I would never try, but that's not even the biggest issue I have with this guy; it's his blatant disregard. Don't skip past the beginning, and listen to his disclaimer about outdoor flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdC012Zv ... ure=relmfu

He admits it's dangerous, he lists four different occasions where something has gone wrong--three of which could have been immediately fatal to his bird--and yet the best reason he can give for doing this is, "Well, I do it anyway."
Image Conrad- Senegal
My shoulder is not complete unless a bird is resting there.
sora no tori
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet