Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How do you present your fresh foods?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: How do you present your fresh foods?

Postby notscaredtodance » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:08 pm

I let her free feed on pellets and seeds, and twice a day for about an hour I offer chop, about a tablespoon in a bowl, which is chopped up veggies and fruits and legumes and grains. She will sometimes skip her pellets and wait for that in the morning. Then I'll offer her carrots, blueberries, watermelon, etc. It's summer so I'm eating lots of fruits and veggies, which means my bird gets lots too. My mom feeds her an apple slice every morning.
notscaredtodance
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Giantmoa » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:36 pm

I like chopping all my veggies at the begging of the week and storing it in a tupperware, dishing out a handful each day. I try mixing up the textures (shredding carrots or beets one week and chopping them next) as much as possible. Its fun to hide her favorite ones around her cage for her to find but when I'm in a hurry I just leave it in a seperate food dish... plus at dinner time I try to offer any healthy table foods I have that night as a treat =) She just loves mashed sweet potatoes (or anything warm and mushy!) During the summer its also fun to walk around the garden and see what munchies there are growing to feed her.
:gcc: Rainbow
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby Rue » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:06 am

I don't cook for the birds - but they get whatever we're having (that's appropriate).

So, if I have an apple, they get apple...same with other fresh fruits and veggies. So they don't get to choose between a variety of fresh foods so much...but are offered a variety of fresh foods - there's very little waste this way...

However, if I make a salad...they get a salad (minus the dressing)...gives them the opportunity to toss foods they don't want out of their bowl...lol...but at least it's not all the time...
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)
Flight: Yes

Postby pabeth » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:09 pm

One parrotlet isn't very picky... Monty. His favorite is oats groats, but he will eat dried greens and veggies and fruits that I get from the petstore. I gave him fresh apple and he take chunks out of it, but then I see the chunks on the bottom, I'm still not sure if he is actually eating any of it. He wipes his face off on the perch the juices are so gross on his face. It's really cute.

My other parrotlet Louie will nibble those dried stuff, although I'm not sure is he really eats any or if he enjoys chewing it up, because a lot seems to fall to the bottom. He will also eat fresh too, but he doesn't eat it fast enough and I am afraid it gets bacteria, so I take it out and replace it. So he never gets enough time to get "used to" the new thing and get curious to try it. and wont touch any of it. I try to put it in the same spot in the same dish.

I usually cut it up even smaller, small little bitty minced pieces.

i used to do zupreme, but started the new birds on exact. I also heard burly bush (someting like that )
Is a good one. It is the one that is brown and smooshy.
pabeth
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Pacific Parrotlets
American Parakeet

Postby Rue » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:26 pm

Roudybush?
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet