Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

$2,500 surgery for broken wing

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

$2,500 surgery for broken wing

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:21 am

This is an article about a vet operating on a snowy plover's (tiny little thing - about 6 inches long from beak to tip of tail) broken wing which is very encouraging because they are so very hard to fix... I wish they had given more information or that we got updates to see if it actually worked.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/art ... 304391.php
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: $2,500 surgery for broken wing

Postby cstone01 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:56 pm

Probably 15 years ago my Cockatiel broke her leg, the vet bill ended up being more than $3000 on my little $65 bird. She recovered well but it was a long process, they had me keep her in a fish tank for almost six months I think? (A pretty small fish tank at that). She had a cast nearly as big as her. A couple months in she started laying eggs- we didn’t know she was female until then. The vet said it was because I was giving her calcium supplements three times a day from a syringe but I’m sure that wrapping her up in a towel every day to give her her medicine didn’t help with the hormones, plus she was living in a fish tank!

When my dad found out the cost I remember him telling my mom “you could have bought her a damn flock of birds” lol. I was surprised by how well she recovered, birds always seem relatively fragile to me. I think they said the reason the surgery was so expensive was because anesthesia is very challenging on little birds. This is why we are trying out the pet insurance now. Considering it was so long ago I’m sure surgery on little birds has come along way.
cstone01
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine, Major Mitchell

Re: $2,500 surgery for broken wing

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:08 am

Yes, it used to cost an arm and a leg to get anything done to a bird. But, like anything else, as time goes by and things become more common (more birds, more avian vets, better knowledge and technology, etc), the prices come down. The interesting part about this article is that although legs are relatively easy to fix in birds, wings are not. They are a doozy to fix! So much so that even soft tissue damage can render a wing useless... very delicate things, wings.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet