Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

BIRD ATE SOME AVOCADO, HELP!!!

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

BIRD ATE SOME AVOCADO, HELP!!!

Postby MagInThePie » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:09 pm

So I was eating some of my avocado toast, making sure to keep it miles away from my Conure. I unknowingly had some on my finger, and while he was on my hand he chewed on it. Hardly any got into his mouth, just a tiny bit. I have heard 1 gram of avocado can kill them, I'm so scared right now. Please help!!
MagInThePie
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: American Dilute Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: BIRD ATE SOME AVOCADO, HELP!!!

Postby MagInThePie » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:44 pm

UPDATE: He's fine. The cooldown time for avocado poisoning is 15-30 minutes and its been an hour. He is happily eating his food atop his cage.
MagInThePie
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: American Dilute Conure

Postby Pajarita » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:34 am

Sorry I did not see this before but I am glad your bird is OK. I don't like avocados so my birds never have access to it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Majesigh » Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:21 pm

I understand your concern, but it's important to stay calm. While avocados can be toxic to birds, the small amount that your Conure ingested is unlikely to cause significant harm. Avocado toxicity is dose-dependent, meaning that larger quantities are more dangerous.
house of hazards
Majesigh
Parakeet

Postby alishakihn » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:56 pm

If your bird has consumed a small amount of avocado, it is generally not a cause for immediate concern. While avocados can be toxic to some animals, including certain species of birds, the toxicity level and effects can vary.Avocado contains a substance called persin, which is toxic to some animals in larger quantities. However, the concentration of persin in the flesh of the avocado fruit is generally considered low and may not pose a significant risk to birds when consumed in small amounts.That being said, it is always best to monitor your bird for any signs of distress or illness. If you notice any unusual behavior, changes in appetite, vomiting, or other concerning symptoms, it is important to contact a veterinarian who specializes in avian care. They will be able to provide you with the most accurate advice and guidance based on your bird's species and individual health.In the future, it's a good idea to prevent your bird from accessing avocado or any other potentially harmful foods. It's always better to err on the side of caution when it comes to the well-being of your feathered friend. Flappy Bird
alishakihn
Parakeet

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet