Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Health Insurance for parrots

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Health Insurance for parrots

Postby Mr.Darcy » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:22 pm

Hey all,
Has anyone purchased Health Insurance for their pets? I have seen a lot of carriers that cover dogs and cats (in Canada) but I am having a hard time finding any for exotic pets...? Or better yet what does everyone think about it? I have not got my parrot yet and having owned a dog for 15 years I know how expensive it can become to treat/care for them.....I assume parrots would be even more costly to care for than dogs or cats.....thanks
:macaw3:
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

:macaw3: :meyers: and Marlies
Mr.Darcy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Hahn's macaw
Meyer's parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Health Insurance for parrots

Postby Kim S » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:57 pm

I have my dogs insured. And thank God. Last year he was diagnosed with a braintumor and this year they added a heart disease to the charts. He gest 8 pills every day, so you can immagine what kind of bills I have.
I didnt even think of getting insured for Kika, but its a good thing you mentioned it. I'm gonna find out first thing tomorrow if my insurance covers parrots as well.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby Mr.Darcy » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:11 pm

Yeah good idea....let me know if it does cover birds. I am sure there must be someone that does, likely the premiums are higher than for domestic cats and dogs.
:macaw3:
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

:macaw3: :meyers: and Marlies
Mr.Darcy
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Hahn's macaw
Meyer's parrot

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:34 pm

I haven't had it for dogs, cats or parrots, but I did used to have my horse insured. The only problem was that every year they rewrote the policy to disallow any part of the horse which had previously been treated. Since Smint is the original hothouse flower, I probably broke even before I ran out of bits of horse that were covered and canceled the policy... I imagine it's the same with smaller animals as well, but I could be wrong.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Kim S » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:08 am

entrancedbymyGCC wrote:I haven't had it for dogs, cats or parrots, but I did used to have my horse insured. The only problem was that every year they rewrote the policy to disallow any part of the horse which had previously been treated. Since Smint is the original hothouse flower, I probably broke even before I ran out of bits of horse that were covered and canceled the policy... I imagine it's the same with smaller animals as well, but I could be wrong.

What kind of rediculous policy is that? :shock:
Kim S
Amazon

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:39 pm

Kim S wrote:What kind of rediculous policy is that? :shock:

Typical. It's not regulated the way human health insurance is -- which is flawed enough as it is, but hopefully improving. The policy restarts every year and pre-existing conditions are excluded, which is taken to mean anything that's been treated. Look carefully at the policy before you get one. I knew what I was getting, it would have been terrible to find that out after the fact!
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby Kim S » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:21 pm

Luckily that isnt the case with mine. There are 4 different levels of coverage and I chose the 3rd option (which covers everything except reproductive treatments like A.I. which arent allowed in the Schapendoes breeding program to begin with). But like I said, my dog has a brain tumor and a heartdisease and I have been treating him for this for over a year now. The polisy ends this november but after calling I found out that nothing changes when I prolong for another 5 years. Even my monthly payment wil stay the same knowing that the company covers more costs than I pay for on a monthly basis.

On the downside, they dont cover parrots. Only cats and dogs.
Kim S
Amazon

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:58 pm

Wow. I always thought the Netherlands were entirely too perfect. Here they will treat the illness for the course of the illness, but once treatment is finished, they will disallow that limb/system/disease. At least with equine policies, that's the norm.
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

(Un)Cape Parrot

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet