Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

I think my green cheek conure is dying..

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

I think my green cheek conure is dying..

Postby Greencheekjulien » Sun May 09, 2021 2:47 am

Julia, my little green baby, is 3 years old. About two weeks ago she started having bad sneezing episodes, so we took her to the vet and gave her antibiotics. It got better. 4 days ago I came home and my sister said that Julia’s eye has been closed the whole morning..
I washed her eye but it didn’t help. We were hoping that it will get better the next day but it didn’t. We called our bird owner friends and they said that it could be because of a hot pepper - and good enough, we are giving her a hot pepper almost every morning. We took it out of her cage and hoped that it will get better again..
Yesterday, she was still the same. We had a visit from the bird owner friends and Julia was playing with them all day with her eye closed. And today she’s worse.. she keeps her other eye closed too. In the morning she came out of the cage with her eyes closed and went right into my palms where she fell asleep. She’s very tired. I’m crying non stop. I put her in her cage to give her some rest and I can hear her tired calls. I’ll take her to the vet tomorrow but I’m scared it will make it worse. She doesn’t handle anaesthesia well and we’ll have to go there by foot, in cold weather. She looks so peaceful now..

Does anyone suspects what could it be? She’s so tired. So tired..
Greencheekjulien
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: I think my green cheek conure is dying..

Postby Pajarita » Sun May 09, 2021 8:55 am

Oh, my dear, she is not tired, she is lethargic and, most likely, has a high fever. Please do try to take her to an emergency vet because the whole thing does not sound good at all. In the meantime, please keep her super warm (85 to 90 F - by putting a heating pad on the bottom of her cage and cover the top and sides so the heat doesn't 'escape') and quiet (keep her with you as much as you can by putting the heating pad on your lap and her on top of it). If you have any antibiotic left (did she get three weeks worth and got it twice a day everyday?) give it to her because it sounds like a bad infection - could it be chlamydiosis (aka psittacosis)? Was she tested for it when she went to the vet?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet