Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hard boiled eggs

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Hard boiled eggs

Postby Jcp3i » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:21 pm

Is 1 whole hard boiled eggs too much for 1 GCC. This will be his introduction to eggs, and I do not intend to give him more than 1/ week.
Jcp3i
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Pineapple Green Cheek Conyre
Flight: Yes

Re: Hard boiled eggs

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:37 am

OH< NO, NO EGG AT ALL, PLEASE! Let me explain. We used to give canaries hard boiled eggs years and years ago because we had no other way of getting D3 into them and we did not know any better but, giving them the eggs shortened their lifespan to almost half! A canary can live well into their late teens but they used to die before they were ten years old all the time (I've kept canaries for over 50 years). GCCs (as most pet parrots) are 100% herbivore and that means NO ANIMAL PROTEIN - they not only cannot metabolize it well (they don't have the enzymes to properly 'break down' animal protein), it also gives them high bad cholesterol because, as their natural diet does not any bad cholesterol whatsoever, nature did not give them the digestive mechanism to get rid of it (as carnivores and omnivores have because animal protein is either all their diet or part of it) PLUS the high protein ends up causing fatty liver disease (hepatic lipidosis). GCCs in the wild are mainly fruit eaters so they require little protein - mine eat gloop and raw produce for breakfast (large portions of fruit) and a good quality budgie seed mix for dinner - they also get a multivitamin/mineral supplement two or three times a week, depending on the season).

No parrot should get eggs, cheese, yogurt, beef, chicken or anything else that is produced from animals. They not only do not need it, it's actually super bad for them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Majesigh » Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:40 pm

Introducing eggs to a GCC (Green-Cheeked Conure) can be a nutritious addition to their diet. However, it's important to start with small amounts and observe their reaction. Giving 1 whole hard-boiled egg as an introduction might be too much at once. It's recommended to start with a smaller portion, such as a small piece or a quarter of the egg, and monitor how your GCC responds.
geometry dash
Majesigh
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:55 am

Wrong! Gcc's do not eat ANY animal protein in the wild so feeding them egg will only cause them fatty liver, kidney damage, obesity and cardiovascular disease.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet