Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Small parrot's health

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Small parrot's health

Postby chiko » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:57 pm

I've had my lovebird on a gourmet diet consisting of papaya, vita bits, pineapple, almond, peas, peanuts, coconut, and sunflower seeds. The fruits are not fresh, they're dried. My parrot is slightly thin, how can I get him to gain a little more weight? I give him pellets as treats btw. Also should I buy those vitamin drops that you put in the waterbowl? I've went to the pet store and got him a cuttlebone for his beak. Is that okay? I've read about toxic? but then I don't people that because cuttle bone is a natural calcium for birds.
Last edited by chiko on Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chiko
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Chiko- Lovebird
Flight: Yes

Re: Small parrot's health

Postby ptuga72 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:18 pm

There is valuable info on here regarding diet and nutrition. But if you are worried about the weight of your lovebird you should buy a gram scale and weigh him. This is good to do even if you're not worried about weight, you will be able to catch illness sooner if you know the base weight of your bird and when it fluctuates.
Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
-Antoine de Saint Exupery
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)
Flight: No

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet