Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Feeding an amazon, grey, and eclectus at the same time.

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Feeding an amazon, grey, and eclectus at the same time.

Postby Rrrma » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:15 pm

Well darn, I typed out this really really long post and lost it :(

Long story short. I have 3 parrots who are all 3 rehomes and all 3 used to completely different diets. I really want to get them all on a pellet diet but am unsure if there is a single pellet good for each of their needs.

Any recs?
Sara, birdma to
Rosie(9), Vosmaeri Eclectus
Hardy(20+), Lilac Crown Amazon
Norma(14), Congo African Grey
Trinity(3) and Ginger(1), Normal Grey and White-faced Cinnamon Cockatiels
Rrrma
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Vosmaeri Eclectus, Lilac Crown Amazon, Congo African Grey, and 2 cockatiels(a normal grey and a white faced cinnamon)
Flight: Yes

Re: Feeding an amazon, grey, and eclectus at the same time.

Postby Rue » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:18 pm

If I rember correctly, the eclectus might need a slightly different diet, but the grey and the amazon can eat exactly the same thing...I suspect the eclectus can too...but you might need to add a supplement...

I should go look it up...now I'm wondering! :lol:

Mine are all on Zupreem natural (the 'tiels as well). Roudybush, Harrisons are also top picks.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby lainmai » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:21 pm

I'm pretty sure there are pellets out there designed specifically to feed to Eclectus, the other two though should be able to have the same pellet without issues.

I'm feeding my little Sennie and my Parrotlet's 2 sizes of Roudybush.
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal

Postby Rrrma » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:27 pm

I've emailed a few companies for samples and I bought a bag of pellets from a feed shop that the amazon's previous owner said he sometimes ate. The amazon and eclectus won't touch it but the grey is liking it a lot.
Sara, birdma to
Rrrma
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Vosmaeri Eclectus, Lilac Crown Amazon, Congo African Grey, and 2 cockatiels(a normal grey and a white faced cinnamon)

Postby Rue » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:28 pm

...this thread, from another forum, answers the diet issue quite well...

They apparently take in TOO much vitamins, etc., from the pelleted diet...

http://www.rightpet.com/ForumDetails/ec ... arrot/14/3
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby Michael » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:28 pm

I feed my Senegal Parrot and Cape Parrot the same medium sized Roudybush. Convert the least picky bird first and then let the others watch and get jealous. Before you know it they may start eating it too. I converted Truman from Pretty Bird to Roudybush in 2 weeks. I'll write an article soon about how I did it. Kili was a no brainer cause she eats practically anything.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Rrrma » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:34 pm

I just googled eclectus pellet diet and I remember reading some of this, this must be why I gave up on giving her a pellet diet. I had originally wanted to, but stopped for some reason.

I already give her sprouts, which is what these articles are saying is good for her.

This is going to need much much research again. I've had my eclectus a couple of years and researched out the butt when I got her on proper dieting, time to crack those pages again.
Sara, birdma to
Rrrma
Conure

Postby MandyG » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:35 pm

Try switching your Amazon first; they're notorious for their love of food! I switched mine onto Harrison’s; he didn't hesitate to try it. I tried some in front of him to really pique his interest, but I'm sure he would have eventually tried them without me doing that.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby ptuga72 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:13 pm

For pellets my ekkie is on roudybush rice diet with some Zupreem Natural and nutriberries as treats (she go nuts over them). I haven't had problems with toe-tapping or wing flipping AND she has almost stopped plucking. But it's good to remember some ekkies are more sensitive to pelleted diets, especially to Harrison's which contains spirulina.
I also have her on a bean/brown rice/whole wheat pasta mix. This is so she gets the fiber and protein she needs without having to feed primarily pellets. Ekkies also require fresh fruit everyday, preferably one high in water and fiber (like melons)

I follow this diet http://landofvos.com/articles/mydiet.html pretty closely, but add the pellets so she can have food in her dish while I am at work.

All my birds eat this but in different ratios. Conures get more pellets, little bean mix, and some fruits and veggies. Scarlet gets more bean mix, extra fruits and veggies, little pellets.

Good luck!
Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
-Antoine de Saint Exupery
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)
Flight: No

Postby Rrrma » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:26 pm

Thanks. I spent the evening putting together mealbags. Fruits, Veggies, starches, rice, and am working on what beans are safe to eat. I already let them all have a tasting of the varieties and they went nuts! The eclectus ate all of hers, which I was shocked at. She has been in a depression for so long after losing her birdfriend that she gave up on fresh foods. The CAG ate just about all of hers and the amazon has been picking at his. All were quite excited at the smörgåsbord though.

I'm researching pellets to find a healthier one. Right now I have some Mazuri that I'm using to try and get them used to pellets. Not the most nutritious, but the majority ends up being tossed anyway.
Sara, birdma to
Rrrma
Conure

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet