Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Poss Vit A deficiency and resultant breathing problem

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Poss Vit A deficiency and resultant breathing problem

Postby justjohn » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:15 pm

I have a Indian Ringneck Parakeet and we have had him for approx 2 months. From day one he has never behaved like a 'normal' parrot. He is disinterested. He does not play with his toys, shred his paper or even show an interest in food. We put it down to him being lonely (previously he was with his parents and siblings) and perhaps a bit depressed. We decided to go out this weekend and get some Vit A supplements incase it was a Vit A deficiency that was making him lethargic. However two days ago he developed some worrying symptoms. His tail is bobbing in time with his breathing and there is a clicking sound when he breathes. We took him straight to the vet but unfortunately despite being told the vet was able to treat birds he didn't seem to have a clue!

He did not even examine him. He has given us 5 sachets of Omnicure and told us to mix half a sachet with a pint of water. However as explained to the vet I have NEVER seen my bird drink. He eats quite a lot of watery fruit (grapes, Apple...etc) so I think his water intake is minimal. Today is his first day of treatment and I am witholding the fruit to try and 'force' him to drink but he has not gone near his water at all. He is now wheezing when breathing.

Do you think this is the right treatment and if so is there anyother way to get it into the bird?

How soon should I see an improvement, or at what stage do I realise this treatment is not working?

Any help and advise appreciated.

Thanks
justjohn
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian ringneck
Flight: Yes

Re: Poss Vit A deficiency and resultant breathing problem

Postby Kim S » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:58 pm

If you have doubts about the vet in the first place, which I share btw, I would go for a second opinion by a 'real' avian vet.
I wouldnt wait for any improvement. By the sound of it, any deterioration could be the end of it.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)
Flight: Yes

Re: Poss Vit A deficiency and resultant breathing problem

Postby ptuga72 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:22 pm

Sounds like Kim is right, get him to a certified avian vet asap. He needs meds and to be really checked out. Let us know how it goes.
Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
-Antoine de Saint Exupery
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)
Flight: No

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet