Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Harrison's Bird food

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Harrison's Bird food

Postby Michael » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:51 pm

Sounds like a Senegal :thumbsup:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby a.susz » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:54 pm

seriously, most senegals are animal garbage disposals... :lol:
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2

Postby Azure Hanyo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:04 pm

...My vet pulled a similar stunt and pretty much told me my birds will die prematurely if not on Harrison's... I am switching vets and sticking with my nutriberry/organic food mix food and upping their intake of pellets slowly over time. :roll:
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby Rue » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:16 pm

...lol...reminds me of when we moved across the country. A vet told me that my cockatiels would die of the stress of the move and I had better rehome them. Well, we risked it...they had a great old time...and lived, for many years, to tell the tale... :D

BTW...this was before bird carriers and crates, etc. I used a 10 g aquarium with a branch in it...they had a blast looking around. Three days in the car, 2 nights in a hotel...no problem... :thumbsup:
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby Michael » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:42 pm

Azure Hanyo wrote:...My vet pulled a similar stunt and pretty much told me my birds will die prematurely if not on Harrison's... I am switching vets and sticking with my nutriberry/organic food mix food and upping their intake of pellets slowly over time. :roll:

If your bird has a specific illness, it may be worthwhile to listen to the vet. If the vet is saying this about an ordinary healthy parrot, he is a crooked scumbag bribed by the parrot food company. It is pretty clear that a balanced pellet diet is good for parrots but what they need exactly, no one really knows. Not the food companies, not the vets, not us owners. Just look at people food, no one can stay consistent for 5 years about what foods are good for us or not, so how do you expect them to know what's good for birds?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby jhuff » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:38 pm

Azure Hanyo wrote:...My vet pulled a similar stunt and pretty much told me my birds will die prematurely if not on Harrison's... I am switching vets and sticking with my nutriberry/organic food mix food and upping their intake of pellets slowly over time. :roll:

Speaking of... I have had Binx for 3 years, I went to Dr. Thomas (i know you all do not know who that is, but just for use in the story) she and Binx had a great relationship, she always said he was in great health and nothing to change. Well... She switched vet clinics, and now she is super far away from me..

I found the closest Avian vet, Dr. Dixson. He is the one who told me that the Zupreem is no good and the Harrisons is the best. He also told me that Binx has stress bars on his feathers, I have researched and researched about this topic since last Friday. I get how/why they happen. This is what i dont get, I have been looking at old pictures of binx and he has had the same darker/blackish marks on the ends of his feathers for a LONG LONG time, at least since 2008 and he was seen by dr. tomas then... So who is it? Is is Dr. Tomas who is is right, binx is fine. or is it Dr. Dixson, who says he has stress bars. IF dr. Dixson IS right, why have they been there so long, most articles say they are short lived.... Is there something more, deeper, wrong with binx?

BTW The visit on friday was just to have his nails clipped, i just cant do it on my own..
Binx's Mom.
jhuff
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Ark » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:01 pm

I had seen one vet (that I will never go see again, for reasons aside from this) tell me that I should switch to Harrison's because my bird's plumage will be so much brighter and the whole spiel. I then told him that, "He has been eating Harrison's for the past two years, so does that mean that it's not working or do you just throw that sales pitch at everyone?" I was so pissed. Anyways, my bird was on another pellet previously and he looked the same. I really hate it when some vets try play on our emotions to try and take us for a ride, whether it be regarding food brands or procedures/tests.

It can cost alot to feed depending on the birds you have, and it looks like the prices just went up too. It costs me 45$ for four weeks just in Harrison's, and unfortunately one of my birds has a wheat intolerance so I am limited in the brands that I can use. I can't even by it in bulk to lessen the blow a bit because it does not keep. They get some TOPs too, but I am not sure about offering it as the only pellet, and the Roudybush Rice Diet seems empty for him, that it's not even worth feeding, the bird goes through it like he has a hole in his stomach.

I think Harrison's is a good pellet, my birds do well on it (supplemented with ample fresh foods), but don't feel bullied into trying it, try it if you want to. The day that a company comes out with a wheat-free formula that has good ingredients and is more affordable, I will most likely switch off the Harrison's except for maybe adding a few nuggets to their bowls because they like it alot.
Last edited by Ark on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ark
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Psittacus erithacus erithacus. Psittacus erithacus timneh.

Postby ptuga72 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:22 pm

Wow, all these stories about crooked vets! Luckily I have a good vet. She just told me to switch from colored ones to non-colored ones, that it doesn't really matter what brand you get, just get one they'll eat. I love Harrison's for the conures (actually they like it), and luckily it's not that expensive for me (it takes a looong time to get through a $25 bag). I prefer Roudybush rice diet and Zupreem Natural for my ekkie and would recommend them to anyone.
Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
-Antoine de Saint Exupery
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)
Flight: No

Postby Azure Hanyo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:24 pm

Michael wrote:

If your bird has a specific illness, it may be worthwhile to listen to the vet. If the vet is saying this about an ordinary healthy parrot, he is a crooked scumbag bribed by the parrot food company. It is pretty clear that a balanced pellet diet is good for parrots but what they need exactly, no one really knows. Not the food companies, not the vets, not us owners. Just look at people food, no one can stay consistent for 5 years about what foods are good for us or not, so how do you expect them to know what's good for birds?

Uh yeah... My bird is NOT sick and if he were I would listen to my vet as anyone who has a pet should know. The vet said he had "deficiencies" but oddly enough a few days later the blood work came back and he was FINE. I guess I should have updated my own "Harrison's" post. :roll: So therefore my vet was a crooked scumbag douche-canoe, which I deduced all by my little lowly self.

:P
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby a.susz » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:34 pm

Azure Hanyo wrote: So therefore my vet was a crooked scumbag douche-canoe, which I deduced all by my little lowly self.

:P

I lol'ed :lol:
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet