Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Free-feeding vs. measuring

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Free-feeding vs. measuring

Postby k9shrink » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:56 pm

Hi all,

For people with CAGs or similar sized parrots, how much do you feed? Do most people measure food, or do you all just free-feed pellets and only measure things like fruits?

Thanks,

Sharon
Last edited by k9shrink on Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k9shrink
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey
Flight: Yes

Re: Free-feeding vs. measuring

Postby Michael » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:11 pm

I'd like to discuss this one with you and could perhaps provide some insight but I am not in a good mood and extremely busy right now. If you haven't found the answer you're looking for, PM me next week and I'll tell you about my experience with this (I might forget this topic otherwise). Sorry.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Rrrma » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:46 pm

I'm still new to feeding my grey, but I don't measure. I offer her free rein of fresh healthy foods. I try to limit anything that could be considered a treat(like fruits and simple carbs/starches). I'd probably put the recommended amount of pellets, but give lots of access to the healthier fresh foods(green and orange veggies and sprouts).

I'd think at 3 she might still be maturing, so it might not hurt to have a little extra pellets too.
Sara, birdma to
Rosie(9), Vosmaeri Eclectus
Hardy(20+), Lilac Crown Amazon
Norma(14), Congo African Grey
Trinity(3) and Ginger(1), Normal Grey and White-faced Cinnamon Cockatiels
Rrrma
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Vosmaeri Eclectus, Lilac Crown Amazon, Congo African Grey, and 2 cockatiels(a normal grey and a white faced cinnamon)

Postby Rue » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:15 pm

I don't think I've ever measured any food for the birds. I don't weigh the birds themselves either...but I do 'feel the keel' to make sure weight is good. I do keep an eye out to see how enthusiastically they eat...to make sure I don't miss any loss of appetite.

I free-feed pellets. I put some in their designated pellet bowl. And when they're done (2-3 days) I put in more. Our climate is cool and dry for the most part...I'm not overly concerned with things going stale, mouldy etc. This summer however, has been very wet and humid, so I'm watching more carefully...and if you live in a very humid part of the world you'd need to be more careful yet.

They get seed mix 2-3 times a week. I let them dig through it for a while so that they don't just pick out the good stuff and toss the rest. This way they eat more of their 'less' favourites in the mix.

They get fresh food daily as I prepare it. If I have have an apple, they each get a slice. Same with other fruits and veggies. If what I make for dinner is appropriate (and most things are) they get some. If we're not home, or not cooking, I don't worry about it. They always have pellets available. I include a small amount of meat in their diet...lean chicken, pork, beef are enjoyed. Lamb not so much.

Sunflower seeds are reserved as a 'back in your cage' reward. I do put Nickel's in her foraging toys...makes it more fun for her. My Amazon and Pi aren't into the foraging toys...the seeds would stay 'hidden' in them forever...

As far as junk food goes? Maybe once every two weeks every one gets a bit of a potato chip. I don't eat a lot of junk food, but my sons do - it's fun to see how excited all the birds get for a wee bit of chip.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby JadeW » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:03 pm

I actually just came back from the vet and she was able to ballpark me an idea of the measured amounts I should be feeding my bird. Yours may be able to give you a pretty good idea about what your guy can or should eat. Cas has been free-fed pellets for pretty much his whole life so it will be interesting to see how he takes to the portioned out diet :thumbsup:
Michele and Cas <3
JadeW
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: No

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet