Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Kinda worried.

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Kinda worried.

Postby Tyler Johnson » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:44 pm

I just bought a love bird that's about 8 weeks old from a local pet store , I hear people talking about how their birds don't like being held on its back or touched in certain places. Well I just got this love bird and I can basically do whatever I want to it lay it on its back it's amazingly tame...

But its always sleeping and makes these weird crackling/Zipping noises.

Was wondering if maybe it seems so tame because it's sick or what?
Tyler Johnson
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Lovebird
Flight: No

Re: Kinda worried.

Postby Azure Hanyo » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:41 pm

Golden rule when owning any animal: When in doubt, see a vet. Hope your little guy is just cuddly and goofy! :)
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Flight: Yes

Postby Kim S » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:58 am

Young birds that have just left the nest will always be a bit overwhelmed by everything. This makes them go very 'tame' for a period untill they figure out that they can also be a 'big' bird. Take this time to bond with your bird. It wont take long for him to start acting up. Its nice to have started with training by then so you can form his behavior ar it grows.

Young birds also sleep a lot, they are still babies after all! When a bir dis comfortable and in the middle of snoozing or falling asleep, they often will ground their beak. This makes a very annoying sound that always makes me thing of nails on a schoolbord (ieuch...).
If you start to hear wheezing or hissing under his breath then theres something wrong.

But like Azure said, if in doubt, see a vet. Birds are experts at hiding illness and once they show signs you are often too late. Thats why it is important to pick up the little changes in behavior and posture that makes our birds who they are.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)
Flight: Yes

Postby Tyler Johnson » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:07 pm

Someone once described it to me as a "happy" sound. So I'm pretty sure she/he is okay plus she does it when she's going to sleep. I would describe it less as annoying and more along the lines of... odd.
Tyler Johnson
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Lovebird
Flight: No

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet