Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pellet Prices in Aus

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Pellet Prices in Aus

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:52 pm

We've decided to change our GCC's diet to pellets, but now I'm struggling to find many places that stock them! I found a couple of brands at my local(severely overpriced) Bird Petshop, and only one brand at the local feed store that I buy my horse feed from.
So I'm just wondering, those of you in Australia who feed pellets, where do you buy yours from and how much do they cost you? So far I've found Vetafarm for 2kgs at $25. And since I'm used to buying bird seed from this feed store at $10 for 10kgs, honestly that seems ridiculous! Is that fairly average? Or do I need to keep looking? Are there any online sites that deliver to Victoria? That might work out better.
Aurora - Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
o'Tika - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Malolo - Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
Prince - Blue Princess Parrot
Cheeky - Green Cheek Conure(RIP)
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel x 2
Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot
Yellow Sided GCC
Pineapple GCC
Flight: Yes

Re: Pellet Prices in Aus

Postby bmsweb » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:13 pm

I purchased the 10kg VetaFarm South American Pellets for $80. I've actually seen the 2kg pack as high as $36! For what its worth they are great feed and your birds will look great! I'm also using their handrearing formula for our chicks.

Where are you from? I'm from Melbourne.
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:33 am

Ok, I knew that Petstore was overpriced! They had the same one for $110.
Where abouts did you get yours from? And how long does a 10kg bag last you? I'm in Melbourne too, in the SE Suburbs.
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot
Yellow Sided GCC
Pineapple GCC

Postby bmsweb » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:24 am

I actually got the 10kg pack from the Bird show that was on earlier this year. I should have purchased some more. I agree that its very expensive and I can honestly say its really good and the bird look amazing. During breeding their main diet was Fruit, Veggies and the VetaFarm Pellets and we ended up with 5 very healthy babies.

The babies are just over 6 weeks old now and they are trying the VetaFarm themself.

I haven't been able to find any cheaper that what they had at the bird show, so I'm thinking of going to the next birdshow and see if VetaFarm have a booth. I'm in the NW of Melbourne.

I haven't finished the bag. I am feeding 3 Green Cheeks with it (not counting the little ones which will be gone in a couple of weeks). I expect to get 6 months out of it at least (Fingers Crossed).

Even the Hand rearing formula is expensive. I paid $49.00 for a 2KG bag of it!
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:15 am

I've found the 2kg maintenance bag at $25, and a 2kg South African bag for $27. Or online, a 2kg maintenance bag for $20 + $6 P/H.
So it seems my local feed store might be the go, plus if I buy it and horse feed at the same time, the owner will most likely give me a few $$ off, he usually rounds everything down for me which is always noice.
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot
Yellow Sided GCC
Pineapple GCC

Postby HyperD » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:02 pm

Don't forget, you can buy in bulk, separate into smaller zip lock (air tight) bags and then freeze them for later use. Pellets are dry so I would have thought their shelf life outside of the fridge is probably quite long but it is better to be safe than sorry, right?
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet