Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Grapefruit Seed Extract

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Grapefruit Seed Extract

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:30 pm

When we picked up Scotty we were sent home with myriad foodstuffs and a sprouting kit including a plastic sprouting jar (handy), sprouting mix and Grapefruit Seed Extract. They use the GSE as a disinfecting agent in the sprouting process. It goes into the soak water and then is thoroughly rinsed out prior to the sprouting. Scotty seems quite fond of his sprouts, although Scooter shows no sign of developing a taste for them. Is GSE something anyone else out there has used? I have found a few references to its use with birds on various websites.

... and at least one website completely debunks it. (Wellvet.com)
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Re: Grapefruit Seed Extract

Postby pchela » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:08 pm

I use it. Haven't had any problems with it. It's also supposed to be good for adding to water to clean your cages and for cleaning your own fruits and veggies with.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)
Flight: Yes

Postby pfinarffle » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:50 pm

I too have used GSE to "disinfect" the seeds for the initial sprouting soak. Seemed to work fine. Haven't used it of late, though, as during the summer it's a lot warmer in the apt so I just sprout things in the fridge which is less conducive to mold. You might think that that would take forever, but apparently the sprouts are at their most nutritious when the baby sprouts are *just* peeking out. I find that by keeping the sprouts in the fridge it prolongs that initial peeking out period by a few days. I'm a firm believer in sprouts as a whole, too, as I think our Sennie has benefited immensely from them during the course of a horrible yeast infection this winter. Gooooo sprouts! :D

Anyway, back on topic, if GSE is a bit pricey for you, I've also learned the plain old vinegar works very well to disinfect the seeds as well and is obviously very edible. I've been told I could even put some "vinaigrette" on the sprouts if I have to leave them out during work etc. Tried it but PeeWee didn't bite. Ha! Maybe your flock will like their sprouts with some dressing. Our guy prefers some cayenne pepper sprinkled on top.
pfinarffle
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:16 pm

Hmmm... the more I research, the more it seems GSE has failed to be proven effective in and of itself, it is the preservatives added to it that seem to have an effect. So, I'm interested in alternatives. How often do sprouts go wrong with no additive to the soak? How easy is it to identify a batch that has gone wrong?
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet