Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

With shorter days do you use lights??

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: With shorter days do you use lights??

Postby HyperD » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:00 pm

http://www.arcadia-uk.info

Unlike normal fluorescent lamps, the Arcadia Bird Lamp uses special UV emitting phosphors to replicate the spectral pattern of sunlight with 12% of the total light output emitted as UV-A and 2.4% UV-B.

Maybe it depends on the quality of the light you buy?
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal
Flight: Yes

Postby ptuga72 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:14 am

Mr.Darcy wrote:Well actually I was not concerned with UVA until you mentioned it.....Do parrots need this??

parrots do see into UVA, so it can be beneficial for their sight. It can also help with overall well-being as well as vitamin D production. But, if you take your birds outside UV shouldn't be a problem. I just mention it because not everyone can take their birds outside regularly and safely (like me).

HyperD: I haven't heard of the bulb you mention, I will look in to it. I wonder if it's available in the US... Most of the "avian specialty bulbs" sold in the US are actually aquarium or reptile bulbs, just repackaged. These bulbs are far too blue or red (depending on its original intended use) and if they emit UV, they emit far too much, sometimes in the far UVB (which parrots don't really need). There are many stories about birds developing skin/eye cancer and liver problems, also many stories of birds that pluck because of the stress of having a "blue" light or constantly hormonal due to the light being far too "red". When I finally get my rear in gear and get my set up going, I will only have the UV light on for 2 hours a day (on a timer) so I can control the type and how much the birds get.
To asses a light you need to look at its CRI (should be ~90+) and its temperature (optimum is 5000K). The needs of each species differ so if you wanted to be uber awesome, you could research the best values for your specific bird :D
Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
-Antoine de Saint Exupery
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)
Flight: No

Postby TheNzJessie » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:23 am

yes i guess it would also depend on your birds. mine are Australian birds and were near Australia so i guess i dont have to worry about it as much
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby rebeccaturpeinen » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:40 am

i have a special light bulb that is suppose to mimic daylight (i use this to take pictures), could this be good for my parakeet? im thinking about trying to offer him this light a couple of hours a day but you think its good enough... ? otherwise i have to see what else we have available here in denmark :mrgreen:

EDIT: is "full-spectrum" maybe the same as a daylight bulb? thats what we call it here... im not too worried about the seasons as Joey is an australian parakeet but this is a very interesting topic....
rebeccaturpeinen
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Crimson Rosella

Postby ptuga72 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:48 pm

I would imagine a "daylight" bulb and a "full spectrum" bulb would be the same thing. I have a full spectrum bulb for each side of the bird room on a timer from 8am-8pm. The UV lamps I wouldn't want on all day, but full spectrum (or daylight :D ) bulbs shouldn't emit UV unless noted on the packaging.
Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
-Antoine de Saint Exupery
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)

Postby Mr.Darcy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:02 pm

I intend on taking my bird outside, the problem is, that here it gets dark in winter by 4:30. It may be mild temperatures but dark by the time everyone gets home....So what does everyone suggest is a reasonable amount of outdoor exposure to sunlight?? Especially if everyone is saying that daylight through windows is not the same???

I quess this is where the bulbs become so important...

:)
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

:macaw3: :meyers: and Marlies
Mr.Darcy
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Hahn's macaw
Meyer's parrot

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:36 pm

Parrots see into the UV and there is some evidence that they need both UVA and UVB. The CFLs that are truly full spectrum do go out into the UV... however, there are now a lot of "daylight" bulbs on the market that are simply bluer, more like sunlight, but which don't extend the spectrum.

We have avian sun bulbs, and I just got a new lamp to accommodate multiple bulbs. I am planning to put them on a timer for the same reasons Michael cites. Although, I may allow some seasonal variation. GCCs live in a range which is nearly equatorial, but Capes range almost as far south of the equator as L.A. is north of it. Especially the true Capes. Hmmm.... I just wonder if I can control molting etc. a bit better if there is some variation. Does anyone sell pre-programmed timers that will give a variation of day length as a function of date and selected latitude?
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet