Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Holy Senegal

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Holy Senegal

Postby phyzy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:12 pm

Hello All,
I purchased an 8 week old female on Saturday from a bird expo in Wheaton, IL. At the show, she seemed a little sluggish and weak, but not knowing much about senegals, as well the breeder telling me some "Scott McDonald" checked her out a week prior and shes normal, I thought maybe the stress of the show had gotten to her or maybe the sluggishness was from her still being a baby. Either way, I bought her and brought her home.
On Sunday, I noticed her chest was a bit wet. Didn't think too much of it because I figured she was still young and maybe got herself wet in the water dish.
On Monday, I noticed it again, but this time there was a droplet on her beak and it was streaming down like mucus with the color and consistency to match. Thats when I knew something was wrong. I called the breeder, she said she didn't know what it was, kept saying she was fine. This is when I realized she was a scammer and what had happened because of how defensive and uncaring she was of the bird's health. I also mentioned how I saw one of her nails was missing after I brought her home and she tells me she never noticed it in the 8 weeks that she owned her!
I finally got an appointment today, came back from the vet, to find out she has two holes in her chest. Look like puncture wounds from a beak perhaps. Got her started on some antibiotics.
Question is, the surgery to close it up is between $700-1600. I definitely don't have anywhere near that kind of money. What should I do? The vet said it might heal on its own but there might be another hole in her crop but she won't know until she starts the surgery and makes the hole a bit bigger.
From what I've noticed, only water falls on her chest, no seed or food particles, but I'm not familiar enough with the anatomy to know if its just a puncture in the wind pipe or not.
I am so saddened and betrayed about this whole experience, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
phyzy
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Yellow-sided Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Re: Holy Senegal

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:32 pm

Geez, that sucks bigtime.

Personally, I would probably spring for the surgery, but I would think that what I probably OUGHT to do was force the breeder to take her back... but that almost certainly wouldn't end well, so... I just don't know, but it is a really painful dilemma.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Kim S » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:07 am

I am really really sorry this had to happen to you and your little baby. Usually I would love to give you advice but this is way over my head. Anything I will say would have absolutely no use to you.
I'm sorry. Maybe you could go see another birdvet to get a second.
But assuming you dont have any experience with bird medicine, sugery, handfeeding and such I wouldnt leave it and hope for the best. You would miss important signals the bird will give you. I would go with the vet. I think thats your only choice.
A hole in the crop is a really serious business. Especially for a bird that young. An 8 week old senegal should be just off formula. But with these wounds theres a big chance she will have a relaps and need to be handfed again (see Trumans case).
Go to the vet. Explain your situation. Tell him what happened. You mihgt be able to work something out. Vets are people too.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)
Flight: Yes

Postby Mr.Darcy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:24 am

I agree with Kim. It is very unlikely the breeder will take her back or even return your calls, either way the bird needs help. The vet did not suggest euthanasia so that is hopefull....You might be able to work something out with the vet. Good Luck and keep us posted.
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

:macaw3: :meyers: and Marlies
Mr.Darcy
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Hahn's macaw
Meyer's parrot

Postby Mona » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:09 pm

I'm sorry to hear this. I know this is after the fact, but one smart thing to do when buying a bird is to get a health guarantee. The breeder has to refund your money if a vet finds a health problem with the bird.

Have you tried to get a refund on the cost of the bird from the breeder? You could apply that refund to the vet bill. I think I'd see the vet bill as being the cost of the bird. A Senegal from a good parrot shop around here can go as high as $600 but when you pay that, you know that the bird is healthy and it comes with the shop's attention, help and health guarantee.

I wouldn't return the bird because you are right, it won't end up well. I would see if you can negotiate some or all of your money back. I would get your vet to write up the prognosis and use that to help get a refund. It can't hurt.

Good luck. Hen Senegals are especially endearing and if you can help this little girl and get her through this, she will probably be a most exceptional companion. Senegals are smart and grateful.

Thanks!

Mona
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey

Postby lzver » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:23 pm

I agree with what everyone has said ... especially Mona. It breaks my heart to hear about any animal treated with such neglect, but especially parrots.

Make your best effort to get your money back from the breeder. You will need to seek immediate medical attention, otherwise I'm not certain your little Senegal will make it. Birds hide their illnesses well, so by the time they are showing signs of injury/illness in a lot of cases they are critically ill.

As Mona said, if you get her the medical attention she needs now she will most likely turn into a great companion. I have a 4-year old Senegal and he's my little buddy. He's a goofy little character that plays hard, but at the same time loves his cuddles and kisses with me every night.

Good luck and I hope everything works out.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Rrrma » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:03 pm

http://www.carecredit.com/

Look into that site, it is a really good deal for people who don't have emergency savings.

I hate to find out about people who were taken advantage of, and the real sad part is it is usually the bird who suffers most in the end.

Please do try to get back with the breeder, report her to authorities if necessary. I hope all turns out well in the end.
Sara, birdma to
Rosie(9), Vosmaeri Eclectus
Hardy(20+), Lilac Crown Amazon
Norma(14), Congo African Grey
Trinity(3) and Ginger(1), Normal Grey and White-faced Cinnamon Cockatiels
Rrrma
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Vosmaeri Eclectus, Lilac Crown Amazon, Congo African Grey, and 2 cockatiels(a normal grey and a white faced cinnamon)

Postby birdvet » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:18 pm

That sucks!! I'm so sorry you were scammed like that. Breeders like that make me soooo mad!!! Sounds like your little bird definitely does need the surgery if there are holes in her crop, the risk of a life threatening infection are too high without the surgery. Most crop injuries in babies are due to formula being fed too hot or rough crop tubing...both indicating that the breeder who sold you the bird doesn't have a clue what she is doing (but we all know that based on your story anyhow!!).

I hope there is some way you can make the breeder liable. Are you in the USA? If so, there are probably definitely ways to make her liable for this. In NZ we have the consumer guarantees act as an example which protects the buyer from scammers. Please spread the word as best you can about how awful this person is so that hopefully other people won't purchase birds from her and hopefully she will go out of business eventually (we can all dream and hope this happens :D ).

Senegals make wonderful pets so I hope this all works out for you and you end up with an amazing little companion. Keep us posted!

Good luck :senegal:
birdvet
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conure, Indian Ringneck, Crimson Wing Parakeet, Sun Conure,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet