Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Have I spoiledmy parrot already???!!!

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Have I spoiledmy parrot already???!!!

Postby L4DYCR0F7 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:17 pm

Hi there,

My Senegal, Mylo. is bloody fantastic, although I think I have spoiled him and am slowly turning him into a wee shite.
When I come in from work, I go straight to his cage, as he has usually been shouting me the whole way down to my living room, and he is out until we go to bed, normally found on my shoulder while watching tv, also when he is finished eating, he sits on the side of his climbing frame and shouts on me to go get him, which I usually do. In doing this I think I may have spoiled him into thinking when he shouts, I say "how high?"! Is this possible???

there are so many Qs I have about my new wee parrot and would really appreciate a bit of advice from someone who has experience with these birds!!

Thanks so much
:senegal:
L4DYCR0F7
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Have I spoiledmy parrot already???!!!

Postby Kim S » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:43 pm

Well, welcome to the club. We all spoil our parrots. But you need to understand that parrots are like little children. They need rules, and boundaries too.

Number one rule. Never ever pick up your bird when he yells. This will teach him that you will pick him up every time he yells. Not such a problem if you are able to pick him up all the time. But there will come a time when you cant. Youre on the phone, youre cooking dinner, youre making headway with that pretty lady next door. In short. You cant pick him up. Since you taught him that you will come whenever he yells, he will keep yelling. And if you dont come he will yell even louder. He wont stop yelling till you pick him up.
Now is that really something you want him to do for the next 30 to 40 years?
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby notscaredtodance » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:21 pm

Just make sure it can play on its own. That's one thing I didn't need to teach my bird to do, and she does REALLY well. When I leave the room she sqwuaks-.. squaks. skuwaks... its just getting worse, i give up- for a few minutes then will do her own thing and entertain herself in her cage. I am very blessed with a more independent birds, which senegals are known for.
notscaredtodance
Conure

Flight: No

Postby L4DYCR0F7 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:54 pm

Thanks for your replies, I will try not to pick him up when he shouts on me and reward him when he has been sitting patiently??

He is a lovely affectionate wee bugger and amuses me no end so I would like to be as good with him as possible so as once habbits are set in he doesn't feel hard done by.

how long have you had your parrots?

:-)
L4DYCR0F7
Parakeet

Postby Titanius » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:56 pm

I've owned cockatiels for a considerably short time around 5 months. I used to have budgies for a couple years when I was younger.
Titanius
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby Kim S » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:59 pm

I have kept and bred cockatiels and budgies for well over 5 years now.
Ive only had my senegal for a couple of months.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby L4DYCR0F7 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:17 am

I looked after someones budgie when I was younger but was way too young to appreciate it and have had other types of pet which I have loved including, rabbits, chinchillas, snakes etc but I am completely taken with mylo, he is by far the most responsive and interesting pet I have had and I am so glad that I bought him on the day I had an "I have to have him now" moment :-)
L4DYCR0F7
Parakeet

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet