Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

PDD

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: PDD

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:00 pm

Mandy, I don't know the answer to that and I hope somebody does! I'd guess that if the regurgitation is clearly behavioral in nature (to a specific object of affection) it's less likely to be a symptom, and also if it is a longstanding normal behavior as opposed to something that is clearly increasing in frequency, it is also less worrying... analogous to runny poop. But that's just my relatively inexperienced take on things.

Birdvet, that was a pretty understandable article! One question I didn't find the answer to, and might have missed in the technical language, is what is the proposed mechanism by which the virus alters the proventriculus causing the enlargement? Are there therapies that might be able to interfere with that process? Also, the article brings up the question, do asymptomatic carriers exist? Is this article the most current on that subject?
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby birdvet » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:07 am

Mandy, sounds like the regurgitation you're talking about has to do with your bird forming a bond with you (and the toy) and treating you like a mate. Regurgitation associated with PDD tends to occur after eating and not when the bird is feeling "sexy" (for want of a better word ;) ). I don't think you have anything to worry about.

entrancedbymyGCC wrote:Birdvet, that was a pretty understandable article! One question I didn't find the answer to, and might have missed in the technical language, is what is the proposed mechanism by which the virus alters the proventriculus causing the enlargement? Are there therapies that might be able to interfere with that process? Also, the article brings up the question, do asymptomatic carriers exist? Is this article the most current on that subject?

I enjoyed that article to, we're all still learning about this damn disease and sometimes it gets overwhelming reading scientific article after article. The nerve damage (neuropathy) caused by the virus causes the proventricular dilation. Basically the nerves that control contraction and relaxation (peristalsis) etc. stop working so the muscle wall becomes flaccid and food builds up - hence the regurgitation. It has no where to go so heads out. This is also why there is undigested food in the droppings, because the entire gastrointestinal tract nerve supply is compromised. As for asymptomatic carriers, I'm sure there ar and now that we know what virus causes the disease work is being done to make testing easier, including testing for possible carriers.

As for possible therapies...there aren't really any drugs that prevent this unfortunately. Certain non-steroidal antiinflammatories have been used with reasonablr success to "treat" this disease. Hopefully someone will develop a vaccine...here's hoping!!!

There may be more recent articles out but this one is from the last few months so pretty recent. There is another one out that talks more about how to diagnose the disease but that's a more experimental article and not relevant clinically just yet...soon :D

We are REALLY lucky in NZ because we don't have this disease here...yet!!

Hope that helps :senegal:
birdvet
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conure, Indian Ringneck, Crimson Wing Parakeet, Sun Conure,
Flight: Yes

Postby Jenny » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:02 am

Birdvet, just wanted to let you know how much your contribution to this forum is appreciated! Thank you so much. :thumbsup:
Jenny
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
white-capped pionus

Postby MandyG » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:08 am

Thanks birdvet! I know Pele's regurgitating seems to be normal for a mature female, but I just didn't know what to look for to know when it's not normal. Thanks for your input!
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Shani » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:08 pm

We are REALLY lucky in NZ because we don't have this disease here...yet!!

You really are lucky. Sadly, it's present in Australia (the first case was in 1997 from a macaw imported here in 1993), but as far as I know, while it's found in Qld and in NSW, there haven't been any reported case in Victoria where I am so I guess I'm very lucky as well (I could be wrong though, while I couldn't find any documentation of it being in Vic, that doesn't mean it isn't here).

I just hope that research into this disease and potential treatments are given necessary funding to find a cure for it. :(
Shani
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby birdvet » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:28 am

Jenny wrote:Birdvet, just wanted to let you know how much your contribution to this forum is appreciated! Thank you so much. :thumbsup:

Thanks Jenny, I'm learning a lot from everyone on the forum as well. Glad to give bits of advice when I can :D

Shani wrote:You really are lucky. Sadly, it's present in Australia (the first case was in 1997 from a macaw imported here in 1993), but as far as I know, while it's found in Qld and in NSW, there haven't been any reported case in Victoria where I am so I guess I'm very lucky as well (I could be wrong though, while I couldn't find any documentation of it being in Vic, that doesn't mean it isn't here).

I just hope that research into this disease and potential treatments are given necessary funding to find a cure for it. :(

I know the vets who discovered it in AUS...as far as I know it hasn't reached Vic yet but its probably only a matter of time unfortunately, if its not already there like you say :(
birdvet
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conure, Indian Ringneck, Crimson Wing Parakeet, Sun Conure,

Postby kathis » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:47 am

Jenny wrote:Birdvet, just wanted to let you know how much your contribution to this forum is appreciated! Thank you so much. :thumbsup:

I too want to thank you Birdvet. I truly hope our experience with PDD is over, but I still want to learn as much about it as possible. You have been so informative and supportive. Thanks again.

Kathi
Kathi
Image Bobbin
ImageOG flies in birdie heaven
kathis
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby kenn » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:54 pm

I'm hoping for the best. I wish Earlyn will be well soon. I'll always pray for her immediate recovery.
kenn
Parakeet

Postby a.susz » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:27 pm

kenn wrote:I'm hoping for the best. I wish Earlyn will be well soon. I'll always pray for her immediate recovery.

unfortunately, earlynn did pass from PDD: http://theparrotforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3641&p=22851#p22851

still praying for her. this is such a terrible, sneaky disease, i would wish for no person friend or foe to ever have to go through seeing their bird like this.
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet