Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

two questions.

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

two questions.

Postby Tinker2 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:51 am

This poor little cinnamon greencheek Tinker I adopted on Friday is in a heavy molt.She has pinfeathers everywhere.Plus no tail feathers, Im really worried about that.Also her last owner chopped her wings down to nothing..She is just awful looking.About how long will it take for her to get her wing and tail feathers back in assuming she isnt a plucker???

Also she(Tinker) is a confirmed seed eater.I have the zupreem natural I feed my other greenie Gabby but although she also was a seed eater when I got her,she ate pellets in the mix as well so I just reduced the seeds till she didnt get any..Im not sure how to go about switching this new guy over to pellets???.I put some in her seed mix and she promptly dug them out and threw them on the ground.
Gabby 11yo greencheek
Jasper 1yo tiel
Jewel, Jem and Star
Tinker 2yo cinnamon greencheek
Tinker2
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 budgie
1 cockatiel
2 greencheek conures
Flight: No

Re: two questions.

Postby Kathleen » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:43 am

This molt could take a few months. Some problems you may have are future developing primary wing feathers which will grow in, "stick out" and may accidentally break. So you'll need to watch out for blood feathers.

Just a seed mix is unhealthy for this bird. But be careful because if you try to switch the bird over now to pellets, the bird may eat less which may interfere with feather growth and the molt. The bird may not recognize or realize that the pellets are food. Then again, why would it want to eat something healthy and bland when it could eat a tasty, fatty snack food all the time?

Here's an old topic on the forum discussing food conversions with parrots: http://www.theparrotforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Postby Tinker2 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:29 am

I hate those blood feathers.ITs so scary.I had the tiel break a blood feather.Luckily it happened like the same week I had read an article about them so I knew how to pull out the stub.
I really am worried about this little guy.It sure looks like he has been plucking to me and Ive not dealt with this before..I hope the change of situation will make everything all right again for him..
Gabby 11yo greencheek
Jasper 1yo tiel
Jewel, Jem and Star
Tinker2
Parakeet

1 cockatiel
2 greencheek conures

Postby ptuga72 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:50 am

If he is in a really heavy molt and been on a really bad diet, then his feathers will look very scraggely. Hopefully he is not a plucker; green cheeks are not known for that, so I would hate to think what would make him start :(

Good luck with this little guy!
Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
-Antoine de Saint Exupery
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)

Postby Tinker2 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:39 pm

I am hoping it may be just a really heavy molt.I was just reading something about when a bird is kept outside which I think this one was for the summer that they can have one heavy molt instead of a steady molt all year like indoor birds.IDK sound reasonable and she does have alot of pin feathers...My main concern is the wing feathers although cut short some have ragged edges like she has been chewing them.I going to get her to a vet here in a week or two..I cant take her to my regular vet, she doesnt do birds or exotics.So I have to go out of town and they dont let me make payments there so I need to have a couple hundred up front.
I hate that it costs more to go to the vet then my own human doctor.
Gabby 11yo greencheek
Jasper 1yo tiel
Jewel, Jem and Star
Tinker2
Parakeet

1 cockatiel
2 greencheek conures

Postby Mr.Darcy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:14 pm

Someone else was asking about molting and this link has been around here for a while. It is pretty good take a read....

http://www.2ndchance.info/molt.htm

good luck!
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

:macaw3: :meyers: and Marlies
Mr.Darcy
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Hahn's macaw
Meyer's parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:52 pm

That article is OK... but it doesn't really cite sources and it mostly gives a lot of detail about the endocrine system without really getting it to a level of explaining which influences, in practice, dominate. It also focuses on the circadian clock, which, I believe, refers to the "day" clock, not the annual THe answer may be "we don't know". It's not a bad article, but I'm not sure it really helps much... at least the author seems to be knowledgeable. I wonder what birdvet thinks of it.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet