Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Things / foods to avoid

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Things / foods to avoid

Postby notscaredtodance » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:27 am

Uncooked beans (legumes) contain a toxin that is released when boiled. If you're thinking of making a "Chop" or "mash' recipe with seeds,beans,fruits, veggies, and pellets, always, always cook the beans,

Uncooked rice can expand in the bird's crop and be fatal.

An obvious one is electrical wires. My bird has chewed through one computer A/C adapter without my realizing. Now I'm very vigilant about where she is and what she's doing, even when she's playing solo.
notscaredtodance
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:57 am

Right, cook or sprout beans. Peas are fine raw, but beans are not. Note this is true for humans as well, don't go eating raw beans!
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby funky crunch » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:18 pm

entranced, thanks for the input, excellent list with some very good advice

thank you
Bootsy Collins - Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Sinbad - Senegal Parrot

xbox live gamertag - funky crunch

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject
funky crunch
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheeked Conure
Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Giantmoa » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:41 pm

notscaredtodance wrote:Uncooked beans (legumes) contain a toxin that is released when boiled. If you're thinking of making a "Chop" or "mash' recipe with seeds,beans,fruits, veggies, and pellets, always, always cook the beans,

does this include green beans??
:gcc: Rainbow
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:46 pm

Giantmoa wrote:
notscaredtodance wrote:Uncooked beans (legumes) contain a toxin that is released when boiled. If you're thinking of making a "Chop" or "mash' recipe with seeds,beans,fruits, veggies, and pellets, always, always cook the beans,

does this include green beans??

No,green beans aren't beans in the same sense, nor are green peas.

I want to look into this some more, because while it seems clear that raw kidney beans are bad news, they also shouldn't be sprouted. A lot of this material comes from the raw food community, and it isn't clear to me that it's on solid ground. The contention is that only garbanzos and mung beans are safe to eat raw, but lots of beans are routinely sprouted and the compound that is problematic in red kidneys doesn't go away when they are sprouted. All I can find readily is hearsay.

In the meantime... if you wouldn't eat it unless it was thoroughly cooked, probably safer to cook it.
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby Giantmoa » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:28 pm

entrancedbymyGCC wrote:No,green beans aren't beans in the same sense, nor are green peas.

I want to look into this some more, because while it seems clear that raw kidney beans are bad news, they also shouldn't be sprouted. A lot of this material comes from the raw food community, and it isn't clear to me that it's on solid ground. The contention is that only garbanzos and mung beans are safe to eat raw, but lots of beans are routinely sprouted and the compound that is problematic in red kidneys doesn't go away when they are sprouted. All I can find readily is hearsay.

In the meantime... if you wouldn't eat it unless it was thoroughly cooked, probably safer to cook it.

thanks, I read the bean thing right after I gave rainbow green beans so I had to confirm :? never heard of beans being toxic raw (but then again I've never had the urge to eat raw beans...) good to know
:gcc: Rainbow
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Postby issy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:19 am

Thanks for this i've had some trouble in finding more of a variety to feed Sheldon.

I just wanted to ask if un-buttered/salted popcorn is ok because i've heard that it is not fattening. Also if anyone knows if soy products are good/bad. =]
Image- Sheldon

Image- Evey
issy
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow Lorikeet
Sun Conure

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:32 am

issy wrote:I just wanted to ask if un-buttered/salted popcorn is ok because i've heard that it is not fattening.

Anything is fattening if overeaten! Sorry, couldn't resist, but it's true. Popcorn is nutritionally the same as corn, pretty much, it just fills more volume when it is popped.

As far as I know, soy products aren't a problem -- I've fed edamame on occasion. But many are highly salted. However, I think Lorikeets have rather specialized dietary requirements, so I'm not sure any of these things really meet his nutritional needs.
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby pchela » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:47 am

I'm pretty sure the rice thing is a myth. Anyway, I sprout rice for my guys. Adzuki is another bean that is safe to sprout btw.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby issy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:53 am

I wouldn't overfeed him with popcorn, I just wanted to know if it was safe for him to try because he is always begging to try it when i'm eating popcorn XD

He does have his specialized food, but i'm looking for more variety in his diet.
Image- Sheldon

Image- Evey
issy
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow Lorikeet
Sun Conure

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet