Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Dehydrated Fruits and Veggies

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Dehydrated Fruits and Veggies

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:54 pm

(This got so far off topic, I decided to start a new one)

GooseBlossom wrote:My lovebird Goose will not eat any moist foods at all. He will eat organic dried veggies. His favorite: Just Tomatoes Organic Peas. They produce dried fruits also.

This is slipping dangerously off topic (naw, that couldn't happen around here...) but Scotty is steadfastly refusing to eat any wet food except grapes. We keep trying different things, but so far he picks out the grapes and leaves everything else. In desperation I mixed some "Just Veggies" mix and "Just blueberries" into his dry food, and -- son of a gun, he ate them!

We now have one GCC that eats no pellets but loves seeds and wet food, eats a TON of fresh fruit and veggies, and one Cape that eats pellets so well he thinks ZuPreem Fruitblend is a treat, but will eat no fresh foods. Should have named them Jack Sprat and his Wife...

The really frustrating thing about Scotty is that he came having been fed a special salad every day... I'm guessing since the store uses feeding and cleaning people (And Scotty apparently wasn't kind to them) that they were just under the illusion he did more than pick out the grapes. We'll keep working at it, but since he eats pellets, I'm not too stressed. I do wonder if mixing the dried stuff in with his dry mix (which I'm planning to recreate next time, rather than buying it premixed) would give him a little more variety in a palatable form. What he REALLY loves is nuts.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Re: Dehydrated Fruits and Veggies

Postby Michael » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:31 pm

This doesn't seem too surprising. Truman is mostly the same way. So is Kili. It's a Poi thing, you know what I mean?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby notscaredtodance » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:11 pm

Hm. My senegal isn't like that. I think she prefers pellets, especially zupreem fruit (so much so that I use them for training only). But she eats everything I eat. If I cut up a bell pepper, she'll eat a whole slice. When I have my apple in the morning she gets a slice of that.

The only things she wont eat are berries and watermelon. I don't think she likes the little explosion of juice when she takes a bite, since it gets on her face.

I also feed her the circus diet 3 times a week, and she eats the full tablespoon of that, but she will go for the beans and rice before the fruits and veggies.
notscaredtodance
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Postby a.susz » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:44 am

notscaredtodance wrote:Hm. My senegal isn't like that. I think she prefers pellets, especially zupreem fruit (so much so that I use them for training only). But she eats everything I eat. If I cut up a bell pepper, she'll eat a whole slice. When I have my apple in the morning she gets a slice of that.

The only things she wont eat are berries and watermelon. I don't think she likes the little explosion of juice when she takes a bite, since it gets on her face.

I also feed her the circus diet 3 times a week, and she eats the full tablespoon of that, but she will go for the beans and rice before the fruits and veggies.

you should see my senegal's cage bottom after our blackberry/raspberry days. it looks like he murdered someone.... :lol:

watermelon is the one fruit all three of my guys actually get excited for!! they all actually jump up and dance for some more. ;) we all love messy beaks over here!
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2

Postby TheNzJessie » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:48 am

a.susz wrote:
notscaredtodance wrote:Hm. My senegal isn't like that. I think she prefers pellets, especially zupreem fruit (so much so that I use them for training only). But she eats everything I eat. If I cut up a bell pepper, she'll eat a whole slice. When I have my apple in the morning she gets a slice of that.

you should see my senegal's cage bottom after our blackberry/raspberry days. it looks like he murdered someone.... :lol:

watermelon is the one fruit all three of my guys actually get excited for!! they all actually jump up and dance for some more. ;) we all love messy beaks over here!

omg! watermelon i have to tell you a story about watermelon! the elephant at work gets a whole watermelon (Its her fav) and she steps on it just lightly enough to crack it then eats it, her eyes roll back into her head as if shes going 'urr that hit the spot!' its so funny to watch shes so carefull steping on it just enough to crack it
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet