Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

broken feather

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

broken feather

Postby HeartHaze » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:48 pm

just this morning i saw my sun had broken feather/s (not really sure how many but there is one that is seriously damaged). they/it seem/s broken around the shaft. it didnt have blood. im not really sure what i should do. this is my first time dealing with a broken feather. im thinking about bringing him to the vet but my doc is only available during thursdays. he's in his other clinic most of the days. what do you suggest i do for now? he can still fly but when i touch his wing he gets a bit cranky. :? :(
HeartHaze
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: broken feather

Postby Michael » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:23 am

Kili has this happen all the time. If you can get the bird still enough and get in with a scissor, you can cut off just below the break. Otherwise just leave it. After a few days or a week it breaks off completely itself.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby HeartHaze » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:17 pm

ok thank you so much :D
HeartHaze
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure

Postby birdvet » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:12 am

Yeah, broken feathers are common. Edward, my Crimson Wing, managed to break ALL his tail feathers recently because he's super clumsy when he gets around...combination of being a young bird plus only having one leg :D ....anywho, I cut all the broken bits off and he seems much happier without the broken ratty ends cramping his style ;)
birdvet
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conure, Indian Ringneck, Crimson Wing Parakeet, Sun Conure,

Postby Michael » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:31 am

Yeah. Truman broke a second tail feather already. I can't understand how he manages (actually the first happened at time of injury) but the recent one seemed out of nowhere.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet