Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Birdie breads & grains

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Birdie breads & grains

Postby Jenny » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:40 pm

For those of you that have your birds on the pellet, fruit, veggie & minimal seed diets, how often do you offer birdie breads or grains?
Jenny
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
white-capped pionus
Flight: Yes

Re: Birdie breads & grains

Postby Chicklet » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:07 pm

I cook for them, about once or twice a month I make a huge batch of birdie bread or muffins :)
Rista~Senegal
Briar~Sun Conure
Finn~Budgie
George~Budgie
Ralph~Budgie
Chicklet
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal. Sun Conure. Budgies.

Postby Jenny » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:21 pm

Chicklet, does that mean you only offer it to your birds once or twice a month? I make batches of birdie bread & freeze them also, but I'm wondering how often to offer/serve it to my bird. (I'm afraid I may be serving it to him too often!)
Jenny
Poicephalus

white-capped pionus

Postby zazanomore » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:19 pm

While we're on the subject of grains, how about oatmeal? Made with water, no milk and no sugar? It's my favorite breakfast food, I wonder if the birds would like it too?
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:26 pm

My vet's main complaint about our birds' diet is that we don't offer enough healthy table food. Sharing meals is supposed to be good... done appropriately.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Chicklet » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:48 pm

Jenny wrote:Chicklet, does that mean you only offer it to your birds once or twice a month? I make batches of birdie bread & freeze them also, but I'm wondering how often to offer/serve it to my bird. (I'm afraid I may be serving it to him too often!)

No no! I give them muffins or birdie bread everyday/second day. I'll spread out the time between giving muffins/bread when they start to get tired of it, then go back to everyday/second day when they're interested again. I would say once a day is good, any more than that and it might start to interfere with the amount of healthier foods (ie: pellets) they eat during the day. Although I guess you could split a muffin in two and feed twice a day if you wanted :)
Rista~Senegal
Briar~Sun Conure
Finn~Budgie
George~Budgie
Ralph~Budgie
Chicklet
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal. Sun Conure. Budgies.

Postby pchela » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:26 pm

My guys get bread daily in their Glop. I also make birdie muffins and freeze them... they get those maybe once a week or so. There are also some grains in their daily sprout mix.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Jenny » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:51 am

ok, well, I'm feeding breads & grains no more often than ya'll are then. It just seems like Aaron is picking thru his glop (to use pchela's term!) lately which is a mix of veggies, a few fruits, brown rice, a little bit of crumbled birdie bread, the powder left over from his Roudybush crumbles, & a sprinkling of powdered egg. He seems to be avoiding the veggies & fruit & zeroing in on the brown rice especially, then the birdie bread.

He's so picky. It drives me nuts. He loves mashed sweet potato, but hates raw or cooked broccoli. He'll eat a little raw or cooked carrot and will nibble on carrot tops, but they're not his preference. Same w/peas. Loves bok choy but avoids any other leafy greens (chard, mustard greens, parsley). Avoids either raw or cooked squash, zucchini, red or green bell pepper. I feel like I'm becoming rather limited! I've been able to sneek stuff in when I make it part of his birdie bread, but then I was getting worried that he was eating too much of that. So that worry at least is alleviated w/your responses. Thank you! :)
Jenny
Poicephalus

white-capped pionus

Postby pchela » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:17 pm

Here is the actual Glop recipe. (not my term) All of my birds love it and it's nice because you can sneak healthy stuff in...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3215&p=19536&hilit=sally+glop#p19536
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:16 pm

I'll have to try the Glop thing on Scotty, his rejection of all foods not grape is beginning to make me crazy! At least he likes sprouts... and I guess southern Africa isn't covered with carrots and blueberries, but...
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Next

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet