Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Combining Pellets?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Combining Pellets?

Postby Heather » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:25 pm

I've been thinking about adding Roundybush pellets to Jasper's daily rations. He currently eats Zupreem FruitBlend pellets, fresh fruits and veggies, and receives Beak Apetit or Goldenfeast cooked foods regularly.

Jasper has no health problems that we know of, and when he was at the vet about two weeks ago, they said he looked great. Should I just not mess with what's already working? I just thought it might be a good idea to combine the nutrition offered by both, especially since there are no dyes in the Roundybush.

Or, am I barking (chirping?) up the wrong tree here? Is Roundybush a better pellet than Zupreem, or are they of similar quality?

I'll drive myself nuts thinking about my boy's nutrition :/.
“She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you'd call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.”
Heather
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Canary
Budgerigars
Flight: No

Re: Combining Pellets?

Postby MissLady9902 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:57 pm

I give my senegal zupreem parrots blend and lafabers. She seems to like the variety. I've found both in her "soup' (water bowl)
I don't see how it could harm your bird as long as you give a little of the new and most of the regular. Just be sure she's eating well.
Marvin however doesn't want them and eat all his pellets except the lafabers. So I don't give thim to him.
Hope that helps!

:senegal: Noodle
:gray: Marvin
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby pchela » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:51 pm

Roudybush is a better pellet than Zupreem. I don't like or recommend Zupreem because of the added dyes... there are probably added sugars as well. On the other hand, if they only like the Zupreem, some form of pellet is better than none at all.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)
Flight: Yes

Postby Kathleen » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:00 pm

I've heard over and over that plain pellets are better than the pellets with dyes. How do you go about transitioning from one pellet to another? Do you think your bird will refuse the new pellets and pick out the old ones? Maybe the best way to transition is to mash up the new ones into a powder and mix it into things.
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby shoi2ti3 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:31 am

If you're concerned about the dyes in Zupreem, they also offer a natural diet without the dyes. This is what I feed my birds and with great results. Whatever you decide to feed though, it's very important NOT to mix the pellets. Different pellet manufacturers add different ratios of vitamins and minerals to their pellets. If you decide to feed 2 different pellets that have different ratios, it can be VERY harmful to your birds. If for example, you feed Zupreem and Roudybush at the same time, your bird could be overdosing on vitamin A, which causes liver damage. It's okay though, to supplement a pelleted diet with fresh fruits/veggies. The reason being is that pellets are formulated with vitamins and minerals. Fruits and veggies comes with vitamins and minerals, but in a different form. For example, vitamin A in fruits and veggies is in the form of beta carotene, which your bird cannot overdose on. But in pellets, its in the form of pure vitamin A.
shoi2ti3
Parakeet

Postby Kathleen » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:25 pm

That's a great point. Do you think in the same regard that feeding pellets and adding vitamins (to water or to food) could cause overdosing?
Kathleen
Amazon

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet