Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Fat content in fresh wild grass seeds

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Fat content in fresh wild grass seeds

Postby Crazy Bird Lady » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:55 am

I feed my flock wild grass seeds that i pick fresh from my back garden and other sources in spring and summer. There is a wide variety, and unfortunately i do not know their names, but know them only by sight. So i know im not able to be specific here, but i was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the nutritional difference (particularly fat content) between fresh and dried seeds?
I was asked this question by someone on youtube, and havent really found a topic on this through avian or other websites.
parrots arent mere ornaments, and they're hardly "just a pet" they are intelligent and emotional creatures who want our companionship. As a bird owner, its a pleasure to make my parrots lives as happy, enriched and healthy as possible
Crazy Bird Lady
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: 5 Budgies and 2 Cockatiels
Flight: Yes

Re: Fat content in fresh wild grass seeds

Postby MissLady9902 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:16 am

I don't know that fat content would be as much as an issue since the seeds have all the nutrition in it.
The fat content is probably the same as the dried/storebought seed but I don't know that for sure.
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby localpigeon » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:16 pm

I give my cockatiels and budgie fresh grass as well. Loads of different types. It's their favorite food. But I don't know either about their nutritional value. Would like to know.
localpigeon
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie, Cockatiels

Postby Crazy Bird Lady » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:55 pm

I have been reading my bird bible "everybird" lately, and though there was no specifics, it said that wild fresh grass seeds were packed full of nutrition and were ideal for feeding seed eaters.
parrots arent mere ornaments, and they're hardly "just a pet" they are intelligent and emotional creatures who want our companionship. As a bird owner, its a pleasure to make my parrots lives as happy, enriched and healthy as possible
Crazy Bird Lady
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: 5 Budgies and 2 Cockatiels

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet