Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Growing and harvesting your own bird seed

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Growing and harvesting your own bird seed

Postby Crazy Bird Lady » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:02 am

Has anyone tried growing their own bird seed to maturity, and feeding that to their birds? I have only had limited success, but its something i would like to learn more about.
The easiest thing to grow was sunflowers, which they loved but i could only let them have small amounts at a time so it was a little frustrating for them, getting given a massive sunflower head to pick at, and then have it taken away!
I would really like to grow my own millets, but havent had any luck as yet. I grow mustard seeds, and have also let some of my veggies in the garden go to seed, like silverbeet and radishes, which they love to eat the buds and ripe seeds from.
parrots arent mere ornaments, and they're hardly "just a pet" they are intelligent and emotional creatures who want our companionship. As a bird owner, its a pleasure to make my parrots lives as happy, enriched and healthy as possible
Crazy Bird Lady
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: 5 Budgies and 2 Cockatiels
Flight: Yes

Re: Growing and harvesting your own bird seed

Postby triplebbirds » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:33 am

This year we did sunflower seeds for them. instead of giving them the whole head you could let it ripen all the way on the flower. Cut the head and hang it upside down. Then after about a week of letting it dry you could take two sunflower heads and rub them togeather and the seeds should fall off.
We also did peppers for the birds. Its very winter now and they are still getting the peppers from the garden. They went in the dehydrater of course. The pumpkins didnt grow well this year. During the summer my birds ate out of the garden a lot. I will probably make an attempt at growing millet this year.
triplebbirds
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 20
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal

Re: Growing and harvesting your own bird seed

Postby Crazy Bird Lady » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:15 pm

Most of my sunflowers did ripen on the plant, due to the size of them, i couldnt possibly feed all of those to them fresh... but i was most motivated to grow these so that they could eat fresh kernels - and i must say i loved seeing Mulga's face all wet from sunflower seeds - i could tell he loved them even more when they were fresh and moist!
I liked giving them the heads because they would eat the petals and the pollen etc that covered the top of the seeds, and it was good foraging for them to pluck the seeds out... but i could always see them get frustrated when i took it away after 5 minutes....
I grew too many, so i took a few around the corner to a cockatoo, and he made a quick meal from them!
parrots arent mere ornaments, and they're hardly "just a pet" they are intelligent and emotional creatures who want our companionship. As a bird owner, its a pleasure to make my parrots lives as happy, enriched and healthy as possible
Crazy Bird Lady
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: 5 Budgies and 2 Cockatiels

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet