Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Australian Native Seed Mix For Parrots

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Australian Native Seed Mix For Parrots

Postby Crazy Bird Lady » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:24 am

I spend a reasonable amount of time collecting all kinds of Australian native tree branches for my budgies and cockatiels, and there have been many benefits from doing so.

There is one thing i have observed, and i would like other peoples thoughts.

Its usual for me to select branches that have leaves, flowers, bark and seedpods on them. First i noticed that when i was removing dry branches, small seeds sprinkled down to the ground that had been released from their casing upon drying.
Then i observed that my birds actually seek out the seeds and eat them. Especially Acaicia seeds, but also Callistemon, Casurina and Eucalyptus among others. i would be able to collect them and store them, as certain plants only drop seed at certain times, but as yet i have only given my birds what they forage for on the branches.

Im always looking for ways to make my birds diets varied, but im also trying to find ways to provide foods that are as close to nature as possible - and since i live in the same country where my birds are native to, i feel like there are ways to achieve this.

I would really appreciate peoples thoughts on this subject.

If you are interested, i have a youtube film on some of the native plants i feed my flock.

parrots arent mere ornaments, and they're hardly "just a pet" they are intelligent and emotional creatures who want our companionship. As a bird owner, its a pleasure to make my parrots lives as happy, enriched and healthy as possible
Crazy Bird Lady
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: 5 Budgies and 2 Cockatiels
Flight: Yes

Re: Australian Native Seed Mix For Parrots

Postby MissLady9902 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:13 am

I think it's great you have access to their natural diet!
Maybe I need to move to Africa to feed my guys their natural diet! (not really)
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet