Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

underweight concerning..

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

underweight concerning..

Postby kartlight » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:36 am

hello guys.
I have two cockatiels, 2 and almost 3months old each. What i'm really concerning about them is...
"they are too skinny"
the older one, 2months and 3rd weeks old lutino, is 75grams and younger one, 2month old normal pear, is 70grams. I've googled standard cockatiel weight chart and my birds have to be almost 90grams at their ages.
They are currently eating formula once or twice a day and trying to crack various seeds themselves. (actually they eats seeds)
BUT they're too skinny.
Here's some background story.
I am the second owner and ex owner of my cockatiels had never raised any kinds of bird so she was struggling hand feeding baby birds. Finally she gave up rasing baby birds and they came to my place. When I adopted these kids from her, they were almost starved to death. I put TONS of effort to keep them alive and i'm pretty sure they are in good shape now.

How can i make them gain standard weight?
I mean not just "fatting up".
Please give me your tips and know-hows.
(and sorry for my bad english, its not my first language.)
:greycockatiel:
kartlight
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiels
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet