Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Where I stand on the Diet debate/Pellet reviews

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Where I stand on the Diet debate/Pellet reviews

Postby Grey_Moon » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:39 am

I wish Jacko would eat raw veggies (some she does---but it has to be ones she likes...if she's in the mood). Except in the case of the orange/dark green veggies (apparently steaming them or boiling them brings out the vitamin A etc more) raw is always better.

I would honestly forego the baking if I knew a way to get her to accept the food as readily as she does when its cooked---but baking it firms it up and takes a lot of the water out of it (if its wet n cold forget about it).

Basically, I boil Jacko's carrots/yams etc (or bake in the case of squash) to soften it up, everything else is chopped up raw and pureed in the blender. Then I mash/puree the carrots etc and add it to the pureed kale, collard, broccoli, watercress, papaya and banana---mix it as well as I can then I pop it in the oven at 350 for 45 mins.

Might not be 'the best' in terms of freshness, but she eats it all (and readily).
:gray: ---Jacko (13 year old TAG rescue and my little turkey-bird girl :) )

"Love me, Love my parrots"
Grey_Moon
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Hen Timneh Grey
Flight: Yes

Postby Cage Cleaner » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:23 am

O
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Grey_Moon » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:40 am

If you can find it---you can try the Hagen's parrot pellets (not the Tropimix).
I find Roudybush has a price mark-up due to the name, but not too hot on ingredients---if I remember right its basically the same formula as the Zupreeem.
:gray: ---Jacko (13 year old TAG rescue and my little turkey-bird girl :) )

"Love me, Love my parrots"
Grey_Moon
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Hen Timneh Grey

Postby Cage Cleaner » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:19 pm

L
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby janetafloat » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:45 am

Well, this is all very interesting...

FYI...Northern Parrots sell TOPS I see (in the UK)

I put my baby tiel on Harrison's High Potency as soon as I got him (he was on a seed diet at the breeder's) and he transferred with no problem. I give him a little seed too. Thus far, however, I've been completely unable to interest him in any fresh food. I've tried eating stuff in front of him and offering it to him and I was putting a little fresh food in his cage every day. All he did was sit on the dish & poop in it! This is a work in progress, though I'm determined to persist. It makes sense to me that a varied diet is best. Any suggestions??

He looks good on the Harrison's....lovely plumage...active & healthy looking

:pied:
janetafloat
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Postby marie83 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:43 am

janetafloat wrote:Well, this is all very interesting...

FYI...Northern Parrots sell TOPS I see (in the UK)

I put my baby tiel on Harrison's High Potency as soon as I got him (he was on a seed diet at the breeder's) and he transferred with no problem. I give him a little seed too. Thus far, however, I've been completely unable to interest him in any fresh food. I've tried eating stuff in front of him and offering it to him and I was putting a little fresh food in his cage every day. All he did was sit on the dish & poop in it! This is a work in progress, though I'm determined to persist. It makes sense to me that a varied diet is best. Any suggestions??

He looks good on the Harrison's....lovely plumage...active & healthy looking

:pied:

Mine are on harrisons too at the moment. Northern parrots have only started stocking the tops in the last month or so, I was considering trying it but not until I next put an order together.

Regarding the fresh, keep trying, its taken years to get Harlie (who looks very similar to yours) to so much as try it because she would literally rather starve but finally she eats a bit. I tried every trick in the book too, in the end rationing her food and chopping the veg up into pellet sized pieces was what worked but even that took ages. the first ones she tried were those closest in colour to the pellets so I assume she tried them accidently lol.We are slowly moving on to other foods .
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Pralina » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:06 pm

Since all my birds are rescues, and only my ringneck is a "REAL"bird wanting to eat everything. The 2 lovebirds are old and have arthritis and the 2 big guys are pluckers, and all 4 are difficult. Soooo... this makes nutrition quite complicated.

I find this post quite interesting. I normally buy Harrisons High Potency (recommended by the vet for both the pluckers and the lovebirds). To this I add Tops and Goldenobles. I also have Zupreem, i usually sprinkle them for some color... even though the birds seem to prefer the organic pellets to them... so I'll finish up this bag and that will be it for Zupreem.
I have used Hagen's high performance pellets before, my birds don't seem to like them as much... and they contain a lot of nuts... which I am not so sure about. Also they start smelling rancid after the bag has been opened, which makes me throw the pellets out.

Lafebers they HATE!!! they never ate them, i stopped buying them.

I would REALLY like to try the Rice diet pellets but I can't find them on a canadian e-store, but I would gladly try them especially with the pluckers.

I do hate the fact that bird diets are all formulated with corn or soy, but since I have adopted my birds who had very bad feather problems and ate only fatty seeds (sunflower) and I transferred them onto pellets with my vet's help, I find their overall health has improved a lot.
But honestly, I am very confused about what to feed from now on...
Pralina
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Pesho (Alexandrine)
Echo (Timneh Grey)
Akilles (Indian Ringneck)
Mango & Kiwi (Peachface Lovebirds)

Postby spiral » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:31 am

has anyone considered using beapher care plus or extravital?
Beeapher care plus says its 95 percent organic but theres molasses in it and we all no suger is bad but i like the idea that it uses herbs.

My bird likes extravital but it is a fotrtified seed diet so she may not get all her nutrients that way. I am thinking of using it in conjuction with harrisons any thoughts on this? :irn:
spiral
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: indian ringneck

Postby marie83 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:49 pm

Got some of the TOPS to try with my last order.

5 days in and neither bird has actually eaten any despite me reducing their normal diet. Ollie has ground his up into a really fine powder but not consumed any, I assume he has got the odd crumb but not anything that shows on the scales. It took about this amount of time to get them eating the Harrisons lol. I would ma,ke it into birdy bread but that defeats the object of them being cold pressed.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby KC Cameron » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:37 pm

Great thread!

I am trying to switch my birds from Harrisons to TOPS . . . "trying" being the key word. Not terribly successful so far. I may have to retreat to Harrisons.
KC Cameron
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing and Umbrella

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet