Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pediperches and cuttlebone calcium perches- the same?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Pediperches and cuttlebone calcium perches- the same?

Postby Eric&Rebecca » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:27 pm

Hi All,

I was just wondering if pediperches and cuttlebone calcium perches are the same thing. I know you shouldn't give pediperches to birds because it can hurt their feet and cause infections however my cockatiel's claws are getting a little on the long side. They aren't hurting him or overlapping or piercing the pads but when he climbs on us its starting to get a little sharp. He has a cuttlebone in his cage but could I use a cuttlebone calcium perch or are these the same as pediperches just branded differently?

He's going for a check up very soon with the vet and as they aren't hurting him in an way I just thought I'd check if there was an alternative in the meantime. He's got pin feathers at the moment and going through his first molt so I didn't want to put him through trimming his claws myself and I wouldn't do that anyway as I know you can cause bleeding and damage if you don't it properly.
Eric&Rebecca
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Cockatiel
Spectacled Parrotlet
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet