Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

seizure / fits and frightened please help! :(

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: seizure / fits and frightened please help! :(

Postby Bird woman » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:57 am

Good lord , guess I'll have to pay attention to old threads getting bumped to the front. Well will just use that as an update on Mathew. :D BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Postby Tia » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:58 pm

I got a new Alexanderine and named it as Tia for my daughter. The shop keeper said it's a female and around 4-5 months old and hand tamed. The look of the parrot compared to IRN is quite big with big beak. Can you please help to identify roughly it's age by the photos? Besides, it sometimes males the head round and pins the eyes. Is it normal or something unusual? The owner said it's a female while the second opinion from other source said it's a male and should be around 6 months. Can anyone help.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BASgA ... xJhB8M27xA
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aRaTi ... 4w-vCDH8MA
Tia
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Alexanderine

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:31 am

I don't have a google account so I can't get into the pictures. But, unless the bird is, at least, close to two years old, nobody can tell the gender visually because the males don't start developing the ring until they go into puberty so, if your bird has a ring, it's a male that is older than 18 months and possibly even older.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:39 pm

The pinning of the eyes is very common with the Alexandrine and IRNs. It doesn't seem to indicate anger as it might in other breeds. They just seem to do it quite often.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:03 am

Correct. But, in reality, even for the species that seem to pin only in anger, the truth is that the pinning of eyes simply indicates the bird is focused on something so what you need to watch is the rest of the body.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet