Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Big cage cleaning

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Big cage cleaning

Postby Clemens » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:02 pm

Do you have any recommendations for cleaning a big cage that cannot be moved outside/out of the room? I recently splurged on a cage that is 30" wide 30" deep and 44" tall (not counting play top or stand), so it is very large and cannot fit properly through the door frame. As I am still trying to rearrange the furniture in the room and get rid of things, I also cannot move the cage much around the room either.
Any suggestions for cleaning it for the few months that it will take to move furniture? Any tips for washing something without any sort of sprayer? I can't get the floor very wet, because it is carpet. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Clemens
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Big cage cleaning

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:53 am

I'll tell you what I do. I put a cheap plastic tablecloth, a tablecloth protector, a shower curtain liner or anything large made out of plastic under the cage (I have those blue tarps they sell in the hardware stores). I scrape all the poop off with a striping brush (they look like giant toothbrushes made out of steel 'bristles') and spray the whole thing with a bottle filled up with warm soapy water, wait a bit (5 minutes or so), scrub it with a 'scrubby' sponge (the kind for pots and pans) or with a Brillo pad (have a knife handy for those hard to reach little nooks and crannies between the bars and such), rinse with a kitchen towel dipped in water (keep a large bowl next to you so you can dip it often -you might have to change the water a couple of times to ensure you are using clean water) and dry with an old hand towel. Voila, clean cage!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Georges mom » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:04 pm

Maybe even place it into a baby pool. Some of them are quite large and they're all lightweight plastic and can certainly hold a lot of water. That will totally keep your floors protected and you can use a bucket of hot soapy water with a scrub brush and really have at it. Georges cage is huge and we had to bring it in thru the sliders on the patio and that's where I roll it out to spray and scrub down.
Georges mom
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow naped amazon parrot
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:56 pm

If you can take it outside, I recommend power washing it! I do it with the downstairs cages and it's a breeze!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Housing