Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rescue helps Irma birds

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Rescue helps Irma birds

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:00 am

This is a story about a rescue taking in three displaced birds until their owners could claim them back but I also included another link to the actual rescue page. Now, don't get me wrong, I am ALL for rescues and nobody better than me knows the HUGE overpopulation problem we have right now in USA but over 1,400 birds?! That's a tragedy waiting to happen - no rescue can sustain itself or work well with so many birds... You would need over 500 volunteers!

http://www.wrdw.com/content/news/Tropic ... 39113.html

https://www.featheredfriendsforever.org/
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Rescue helps Irma birds

Postby Rmoses » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:59 pm

I would be interesting to know where the owners of these three birds were coming from to get out of the path of Irma. Also where were they going to stay until returning home. The refuge is on interstate 20 in Georgia, many evacuees went north out of south Georgia and Florida to get to safety. The nearest north bound interstates close to the refuge are I95 on the east coast through South Carolina, hundreds of miles from refuge, and I75/I85 through Atlanta and that is over one hundred miles away. A follow up on this story would be interesting. I was about 40 miles west of Atlanta when Irma came through and all we got was a rainy day.
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: white fronted amazon

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:50 am

Maybe the refuge was working with a rescue down South and took the birds because the local one did not have any more room... Rescues in NJ have been taking in animals from Texas and Florida to help out so maybe they were doing the same thing.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:46 am

Wow. 1400 birds?

If there are 300 budgies, all in one space, and 200 finches, also in their own space, and a macaw room with 20 macaws, etc. that might make it easier, but if it’s 1400 cages seems insane. But at least we know where to get the metal if we have to build another battleship :)
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:11 am

Rmoses wrote:I would be interesting to know where the owners of these three birds were coming from to get out of the path of Irma. Also where were they going to stay until returning home. The refuge is on interstate 20 in Georgia, many evacuees went north out of south Georgia and Florida to get to safety. The nearest north bound interstates close to the refuge are I95 on the east coast through South Carolina, hundreds of miles from refuge, and I75/I85 through Atlanta and that is over one hundred miles away. A follow up on this story would be interesting. I was about 40 miles west of Atlanta when Irma came through and all we got was a rainy day.

The people in the path of Irma knew they were going to get it. Irma was headed for us and we knew about a week ahead of time. The owners had time to get them to shelters ahead of the hurricane. We can only hope that the rescue is as good as Navre's shelter with a Navre in it.

Irma was a hurricane that came up right through Florida. The people who did not get the hurricane go tropical storms which are really bad. Irma was headed right for me but fizzled as it came through. Citrus county was told to evacuate. I could not do that. I could bunch up all the fur babies in my van and the Amazons but could not move a cage big enough for 11 cockatiels. I would not leave them. I did everything I could to protect them in the room they are in. There was nothing more I could do. My refugees could not be put in a shelter. They came from very dark places and had learned to depend on me.
If the hurricane stayed a 5 when it got here we may not have survived. As it came through Irma downgraded to a 3 at Tampa and a 1 when it got to me. We had a terrible storm and I stayed with my cockatiels to keep them calm.

The people who put their parrots in a shelter ahead of time were doing the only thing they could think of to protect their parrots. Many went to live with relatives who could not accomidate parrots due to their own pets. It would be hard to take care of birds in a car for the distances they had to go.

The shelters work together and move birds where they will get the most attention and care. Some shelters were overcrowded and had to move them to another.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:42 am

Liz, you should try to get a smallish flight cage where you could transport your cockatiels in case of an emergency. I always keep the inadequate cages most of my birds came with for that same reason - they are too small to house a bird all the time but they can come in pretty handy to transport 2 or 3 of them together in an emergency.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Housing