Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Holiday Cage

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Holiday Cage

Postby OzandRoscoe » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:17 am

I'm going to be going on holiday in a few months, and my birds will be going to a trusted friend of mine whilst I am away, who is very experienced with birds to add!

Now, the problem I'm facing is both of my birds are in very large, tricky to transport cages. So my question is, would they be ok if I bought a smaller, easier to transport cage (still above minimum recommendations of course)? I'm only going on holiday for 1 week if it were any longer then I wouldn't consider it, I was just wondering what other people's opinions were?

And to add my birds are a Lineolated Parakeet and a Green Cheek Conure, the Linnies quite calm, not very active, the conures a bit of a wild child though!

Thank you for reading! :gcc:
OzandRoscoe
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Lineolated Parakeet
Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Holiday Cage

Postby liz » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:48 am

If I had to do it I would let them keep their own cages.

They are going to be really stressed without you and their world with you. I would get a smaller cage and take them to visit before just leaving them.

I did not know much about Rainbow or any parrot before I got Rainbow. I met him at his house a couple times. She sent him to me when they were moving over a week end. When she brought him to me for good he remembered me and my home. He talked non stop about everything. He thought he was just visiting since he did not have his cage or toys. After about a month she came to visit and Rainbow hid quietly in a cardboard box while she was there.

She remembered my house and was comfortable.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Re: Holiday Cage

Postby Pajarita » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:51 am

Welcome to the forum! I don't know what to tell you... Personally, I never take my birds out of my house unless they have to go to the vet and, on the infrequent occasions when I am not going to be home, either my husband stays behind or I get somebody to come over because I feel that the birds are much less stressed out when they remain in their familiar cages AND environment. Parrots are not 'explorers', they are born, live their entire lives and die in the same and rather small territory so, as for a captive bird, its territory is its home and I always try to make their lives as close to what nature evolved them to have, I choose to keep them at home. BUT, if you can't find anybody to come over, I would say to bring their own cages to your friend's house because, it's going to be hard enough for them to be under the care of a stranger and in a strange house without not having their own cage...

Isn't there a way that you can, say, transport their cages to your friend's house one evening when it's already dark, set them up and move the birds the following morning and make them sleep that night in the carrier you use to take them to their vet? Because they won't mind sleeping in their own home, with you, under the same routine/schedule they always do in a smaller but familiar enclosure as much as they would if they had to live for an entire week in completely strange circumstances and in a strange housing.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Housing