Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

White Rumped Shama Bird Cage

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

White Rumped Shama Bird Cage

Postby ehariel » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:24 am

Hey everyone.I've purchased the above bird and I'd like to buy a round cage for it. I'd like to buy a wooden bamboo 40" h X 21" dia. I've tried looking for it online but I just got lost and couldn't find the cage I've been looking for.
Ur help will be very appreciated.
ehariel
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Flight: Yes

Re: White Rumped Shama Bird Cage

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:29 am

My dear, this bird is a passerine and, as such, it requires a looooong, rectangular cage. And I say 'loooong' because cages need to be, at the very least, 3 times the bird's length which, in this case, means no less than 40 inches long -and even that would not allow it to fly vertically at all so, in order to provide enough exercise, the cage would need to be very tall and deep . Round cages are no longer recommended for any bird because, apparently, not having 'sides' does something to their brains (their spatial skills become confused with the corresponded neurologically defective behavior this creates). I would also not consider bamboo as an adequate material for a cage.... it looks pretty but it's very unhygienic as you can't really clean any material that is as porous as bamboo -and then there is the issue of mites, too.

These birds are not easy to keep in captivity... well, not if you want to keep it healthy and happy.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ehariel » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:39 am

First of all, thank u very much for all this useful information and I will keep in mind **not** to buy a bamboo round cage. Second, I'd be very thankful if u could be more specific about what do u mean "keep it healthy and happy" any useful information u can share with me that will keep this bird healthy and happy (diet, recommended cage dimensions etc.).
This bird means very much to me and I would like to know what do I need to do in order to keep her healthy and happy.
Thank u again! It means allot to me and to the bird! ;)
ehariel
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1

Postby Wolf » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:08 am

I know nothing at all about this bird, but would be interested in knowing more as you are willing to share what you learn about them. I did find this site http://shama.com.sg/index.html for you which I hope will be able to provide much of the basic information that you need to know. It appears that there is a very special bamboo cage made for these birds that is called a Shama cage and the cups and other accessories for it must also be made for the Shama cage. I did not look but this site may have the links to help you find the items that you need. It does say that the Shama cage is intended for the adult bird and that juveniles should not be kept in them. The recommended cage size is smaller than I would recommend and the traditional Shama cage is round bamboo, so I don't care for the shape either. The traditional Shama cage is sized according to the length of the adult birds tail being twice the length of the tail plus 3 inches. So a Shama with a 10 inch tail requires a cage of 23 inches inside diameter. Unfortunately this does not allow the bird any room to fly which is very important to those of us who have parrots as everything about a birds well being is tied in one way or another to this remarkable ability to fly. The size of cage that is recommended by this site is only concerned with protecting the tail feathers, but a bird is so much more than its song or its feathers. Any way I did not choose this site based on its recommendations for a cage ( that is as far as I read), I thought that it would be able to provide you with more tips on diet and care of this beautiful songbird than anything that I currently know. But then that is not hard to do.

I hope that the information will help you to provide you and your bird with many years of happy coexistence together. Please keep us informed of your progress and we will continue to try and be a benefit to you and your bird. Also we do love pictures so if you can, we would love to see pictures of your bird as well as to hear stories of your life with your bird.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:07 am

The information given on this site comes from Singapore and that might be the reason why they mention the bamboo "Shama cage". Personally, I would not use them. When you go the breeding section, they talk about a very large aviary been required and that I liked. The thing is that many years ago (and, unfortunately, still today in some places), pet birds were not kept in such a manner that was comfortable and healthy for them. They were ornaments meant for human amusement and pleasure and nobody really cared if they were as healthy and as happy as they could be, when they died, they bought a new one.

The reason why I said that these birds are not easy to keep cages is that they are pretty big birds and, as passerines, they need A LOT of exercise to keep healthy - that means a HUGE cage. The other issue is their diet... people feed them seeds, boiled beans and eggs but these birds are, primarily, insect eaters and that's what they should be fed as well as some fruits. The thing about keeping insectivores as pets is that it's not easy to find a variety of good, clean, live insects regularly -and there needs to be a variety and they usually need to be alive (main reason why I would never keep an insectivore, namely, because I can't bring myself to put a live animal in a cage so another animal can eat it).

Here are two sites that give you a good idea of the kind of insects they need to eat:

http://lacvietchoelua.blogspot.com/2009 ... -food.html

http://www.birding.in/birds/Passeriform ... _shama.htm
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby sameerpratap » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:03 am

Hi, This website has very good information about birds. Thank you for the great article I did enjoy reading it, I will be sure to bookmark your blog. I'm sure many others will find it interesting because It's about a widely discussed topic. This was actually what I was looking for and I am glad to come here!!
sameerpratap
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Macaws

Return to Housing