Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

More hoarding...

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

More hoarding...

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:15 am

Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: More hoarding...

Postby Michael » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:19 am

What do you think they would write about you? Especially if you got sick, ran low on money, or for some other reason had trouble keeping up?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Pajarita » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:49 am

Well, I've been inspected by both an Animal Control officer and an animal cruelty officer [neighbor's complaints] and both were actually quite upset to have their time wasted because my animals are all healthy, groomed, well-fed and my house is very clean - much cleaner, I might add, than lots of homes where there aren't any animals! I remember going to see homes when I was buying a new house and being completely horrified at the conditions that most people live! But a dirty house or a lot of animals is not what determines hoarding... If you have ever been in a hoarder's house, you would know that you can tell from the door and without even walking into the home whether there is hoarding or not going on because the smell and the clutter gives them away - my house usually smells of lavender [partly because I like it and partly because it's a calming scent], there is no clutter and you don't see a single thing out of place because I am a bit of a maniac when it comes to that -my children say that I have OCD because I constantly 'pick up' after them and my grandkids, my closet is entirely color-coordinated and the cans and boxes in my pantry are all facing the same way :lol:

But it is actually a misconception to think that a normal person would become a hoarder because of lack of money or illness. Hoarders have mental issues, they are not normal people. Normal people realize it when things are beginning to deteriorate and fall between the cracks and do something about it. It's true that I am getting old and it is becoming more and more challenging for me to keep up so, although I was originally planning to wait until I moved back home to get a housekeeper, my husband has already put his foot down and told me to get somebody to come over once a week to do the thorough cleaning - not that he cares as I do about order and cleanliness, mind you, because he is the kind that NEVER hangs his keys on the hook for them, takes off his shoes and leaves them there on the floor and hangs his pajama pants from the hook of the bathroom door instead of putting them either away or in the hamper :( , but he doesn't want me to work so much...

So, in answer to your question, I think that if I had to be taken to the hospital or suddenly died and people came into my house, they would say I was a good, clean housewife because they would find healthy, well-fed, content animals and a clean house as well as a backyard without a single poop in it [I pick it up twice a day and I do the cats litter boxes always two but, sometimes, three times a day - see? OCD :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:22 pm

A lot of abuse and neglect cases are mislabeled "Hoarding."

The guy from Fauna that we got all those seized birds from (we still have about 40) was reported as a hoarder. In reality he was nothing of the sort. He was a breeder who got in a fight with his husband and stopped taking care of himself, his reptiles, and his birds. He wasn't a hoarder, he just stopped taking care of the birds, and with so many birds it didn't take long for it to get out of control. I'm sure he had others helping him at some point, but he either drove them away, stopped paying them, or maybe they got overwhelmed themselves and stopped coming in (those are my guesses.)

There were probably a whole lot of mental issues, but they didn't result in the accumulation of the birds. The mental health issues resulted in him not being able or willing to take care of the huge number of animals he already had.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:08 pm

Well, that guy was a pet parrot breeder and they are not bird lovers so I would assume that it was no great stretch for him to stop caring for them once his life started going south. Animal hoarders claim to love animals but, in reality, they don't because when you love something, you are willing to sacrifice in order for the object of your affection to be happy and healthy -something hoarders don't do.

I do have a lot of animals but I work my fingers to the bone keeping them clean, healthy and happy and, in all honesty, if I could find good homes for a number of my cats and some of my dogs, I would be willing to rehome them but it's almost impossible to find good homes for adult cats and the ONLY dog that has no issues in my house is the golden retriever which belongs to my husband and he would never give him up. We were planning on reducing the number of dogs and cats by natural attrition and it was working great because we had so many super old ones but it did not last because we ended up taking in two stray dogs and one that was abandoned in my house as well as some sick kittens that would not have made it on the street...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Housing