Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Safe foraging bedding

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Safe foraging bedding

Postby Letticeknibs » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:25 am

I would like to set up a safe foraging area with small bits of wood in a large area for my Jenday Conure. Something he can dig around through with small treats hidden around in. I’ve seen a few of these type of boxes people have posted online. My question is, where can I find safe small wooden bedding that my parrot can forage around in? If anyone has any suggestions it would be wonderful! :sun:
Letticeknibs
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Jenday Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Safe foraging bedding

Postby Pajarita » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:46 am

Welcome to the forum, Lettice and Jenday and thank you for thinking of ways to entertain your bird.

Now, Jendays (same as most other conures) are not ground foragers because most of their natural diet is fruits, buds, etc but, if you have your heart set on using some sort of wood bedding, it would have to be aspen. I use timothy, alfalfa or orchard grass on the birdroom floor because it looks like grass and it is safe for them to eat -not that any of mine do it, mind you.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Housing