Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Moving

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Moving

Postby Tro » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:22 pm

Hello,
I'm moving to a new apartment in a couple of weeks. I never lived in a apartment with my parrot before so I find myself getting really worried about my little green cheek getting exposed to different fumes and things like that. Is there anything I need to watch out for or be concerned about living in an apartment w my parrot?
Also the place is smoke free, so cigarette smoke shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks in advance!
Tro
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheeck conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Moving

Postby Grey_Moon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:42 pm

We're moving into an apartment in a three weeks and actually our biggest concern was noise.
You can always ask about the building and its structure as well as the neigbours above and below.
Fumes *shouldn't* be an issue.

Otherwise we looked for a corner unit and placed Jacko on the outside wall so where she is is as isolated as we can make it and she doesn't share walls with the neigbours. Which keeps the noise down and can act protectively in terms of fumes to an extent.
:gray: ---Jacko (13 year old TAG rescue and my little turkey-bird girl :) )

"Love me, Love my parrots"
Grey_Moon
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Hen Timneh Grey

Postby Strawfrawg » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:29 am

My cockatiel got a little sick from new carpet fumes when we moved into an apartment complex. If the carpeting is new, you might want to spread a bedsheet on the floor below his cage to create a reduced-fume zone and keep the door open at night for ventilation until the smell in the apartment dissipates. Usually fresh paint smells are done by the time a new tenant moves in, but if some remain I'd just say keep windows and interior doors open for ventilation and make sure your bird is close to the freshest-smelling air.

Good luck with your move and settling in!
Marvin Beakman - DNA sexed male Senegal
Strawfrawg
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby bettystewart » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:10 am

I have a lovely parrot my best friend.We have shifted to a new house on rent.The house owner don't want the parrot to be there and I won't leave him.
bettystewart
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Postby spiral71 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:26 am

bettystewart wrote:I have a lovely parrot my best friend.We have shifted to a new house on rent.The house owner don't want the parrot to be there and I won't leave him.

Of course you will need to try to take the parrot with you or else rehome him.
spiral71
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: female indian ringneck 5 to 6 years old

Postby Ali22 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:07 am

I've already trashed my goto skillet for a stainless steel set, because I read about the harmful fumes non-sticks cause. In a related question...
Ali22
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: AAA

Postby liz » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:51 am

I lived in an apartment in 1986 when I first moved to NC. The landlord had all the apartments sprayed for bugs without warning me. My ferret was in the apartment. She was a little off for about a month.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Re: Moving around

Postby Gaby » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:01 pm

We'll be moving with Merlin our African Congo Grey between Germany, Belgium, France for about 3 years. 2 months here, 2 months there....
I'm afraid Merlin might be getting stressed out with all this travelling around. Does anyone have experience with this or any ideas of what would be best for Merlin?
Any ideas for a good travel cage and a temporary (easy to set up) cage will be welcome!
Thanks!
Gaby
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: African Congo Grey

Postby Pajarita » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:22 pm

I don't know of anybody who has moved a gray from one place to another every couple of months and, to be honest, I don't envision this bird doing well with this regardless of the cages or how hard you try to keep everything the same for him. Grays are the worst when it comes to changes... no parrot likes it but grays are on a completely different scale when it comes to stress. The other thing that comes to mind is that you will not have access to medical attention for him in case of an emergency, keeping him to a steady routine and schedule is going to be impossible and even providing fresh food daily will be a real challenge.

I use the Kings aluminum travel cage (http://www.kingscages.com/ProductDetail ... ID=ATT1214) for my larger parrots and they are OK with it but they only use it for less than one hour at a time because it's only for the trip to the vet. I don't think that it will be good enough for trips between countries that will take hours and hours in it (too small, too confining). And I don't know of any good size cage for a gray that is easy to set up and take apart.

Personally, I would think about this VERY carefully because, most likely, you will end up with a plucking bird from the experience.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:09 pm

I agree that would cause a lot of stress on an African grey I wouldn't even think of taking a Parrot travelling for so long.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Next

Return to Housing