Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Room temperature

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Room temperature

Postby Lady » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:25 am

Pajarita wrote:Now, parrots are like people and are affected more by a drastic change in temperature more than constant exposure to a slightly lower or higher temperature than the ideal one so I would be careful about moving the bird from one room to another (maybe you can make a short stop along the way where the temperature is in-between?).

Thank you for all that information. What I am trying to decide is whether or not when the heat is too much for me and I need to use the a/c that it would be best to have Lady in the room before I turn it on. If she starts out in the hot room with me and then I put the a/c on low if she will be okay. I guess I need to find out also what is the coolest temperature she can be in that will not harm her.
Lady
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Illiger's Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:08 am

The coolest is 55 degrees but I would not keep a parrot in it for very long, it would be more like an emergency kind of thing for me (I am a maniac when it comes to the birds according to my family -LOL)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Lady » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:32 pm

Pajarita wrote:The coolest is 55 degrees but I would not keep a parrot in it for very long, it would be more like an emergency kind of thing for me

Well that is just what I needed to know, thank you. I will be getting a thermometer tomorrow to keep in the room so I will know how cool is too cool. I did read right, not for too long at that temperature.
:)
Lady
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:20 pm

Except for Quaker parrots, I think that all of the rest are tropical or subtropical in origin so I just use fans in the summer for cooling and my thermostat is set to 62 degrees in the winter. No one gets too hot in summer and no one is too cold in the winter. This works for me.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:19 am

Yes, I don't ever allow the temperature to reach 55 or anywhere near that. In the winter, the birdroom is kept at around 65 degrees.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Lady » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:30 am

Thank you. So from what I have read here the ideal temperature is always between 62 and 65 degrees Fahrenheit all season, not including any breeding or illness.
Lady
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:36 pm

No, I don't think that is what we are saying, those are the lowest sustained temperatures. When my heaters thermostat is set at 62 deg. F. that is the temperature that the heater comes on, it shuts off six degrees higher, at about 69 deg. F. Personally for an adult bird, I think that the ideal temperature is around 72 deg. F. In the summer, I usually start a fan going when the temperature exceeds 80 deg. F.
Although, for most parrots the summertime temperatures may run higher than this in their native conditions, there is likely to be at least a breeze happening as well. I also believe that winter temperatures for them rarely drops to 55 deg. F. or lower, with an average range of 62 to 72 deg. F. This is the reasons for the temperature ranges that I use.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:07 am

Yes, Wolf is correct. We were talking about winter temperatures, not all year round. My birdroom is about 65 degrees (there is a range, too - it doesn't stay at 65 all the time) in the winter and, during the warm months, it varies but it never goes higher than 85 degrees and that's only a couple of days during the summer and in the early afternoon, when it's hottest. Ideally, the bird should be exposed to different temperatures during the year to make it easier for their bodies to 'sense' the seasons.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Lady » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:10 pm

Once again, thank you both for the clarification. I will continue to read and do research on her specific type of species as well as her individual needs.
Lady
Cockatiel

Postby mommy2cute » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:36 am

My pet parrots love cooler room temperatures but I just can't leave the windows open all the time and it would cost too much if I run the air conditioner all the time. My friends recommended an alternative which they say would save on electricity bills. Are they right in saying that about evaporative coolers ?
Thanks
Last edited by mommy2cute on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
mommy2cute
Parakeet

PreviousNext

Return to Housing