Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New Cage Concerns

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

New Cage Concerns

Postby JaydeParrot » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:43 pm

Hi, I am planning on buying my two Sennies a new cage from the northern parrots website, it's 102cm wide, 76cm deep and 200 cm wide, it's at a fairly cheap price for the size and I think my birds would really benefit from the size later this year when I have to leave them for a couple of weeks with someone who will not want to let them out.

Trouble is the bar spacing is 20 to 23mm/ 0.9 inches, I have measured my birds heads and do not think they would be able to squeeze their heads through and get stuck but I'm still a bit concerned. Does anyone know if 20 to 23mm bar spacing is ok for a :senegal: ?
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.
Flight: Yes

Re: New Cage Concerns

Postby Michael » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:00 pm

No way. 3/4" is more than I ever like to see for a Senegal, 1" is right out. 5/8" is ideal for Senegals both in terms of ability to climb and safety. The problem isn't that they can fit their head into 1". The problem is that it doesn't take much bend in the bars to allow this and create a deadly situation. Might not even be the bird bending the bars. Could be a defect or a bolted perch that puts a little bend in. Then the space is big enough to be dangerous. The cost saving or extra space isn't justified by the danger.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Re: New Cage Concerns

Postby JaydeParrot » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:16 pm

Shame, anyone know of cages bigger than 84cm wide, 53cm deep, 158cm high that'd be suitable for a couple of :senegal: s?
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.

Return to Housing