Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Night Cage/Day Cage?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Night Cage/Day Cage?

Postby EmberSanja » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:21 am

I've been considering getting a bird for almost a year now and have been reading many, many topics on this forum (and other things) to learn more and recently came across a topic mentioning night cages and day cages. I want to start smaller, like a budgie (we had one when I was very young, and it's been dead many years now) or a cockatiel (though I'm worried about the noise?), but my father would rather get a larger bird, like some sort of Amazon or African Grey (though if you have any suggestion for an "easier" "starter" bird that's a bit larger and can learn/mimic speech, definitely say so! Cheaper would be nice also). Which of these birds would need different cages for day and night? And what does a night cage or a day cage need? (like perches, food/water bowls, toys?)

I've been reading up on avian supplies and have decided on a powdered or aluminum (someone said that aluminum was not the strongest and possibly toxic?) cage for one of the larger birds (we already have a smaller cage for a budgie/cockatiel. It seems just painted, but I have no idea - we bought it at the pet store many years ago with the budgie, I believe) most likely the one from mdbirdfarm: 40"x32"x75" Interior Height: 62" Bar Spacing: 1" Weight: 179 lbs, Opening Victorian Top Cage {I would post the link but I just joined to ask some questions and am not completely certain of the rules with pictures and links}. It's powder coated and deemed non-toxic, though I'm not sure how they figured that out (It doesn't expressly say the US tested it for zinc/lead/whatever) Could that double as both a night and day cage? What dimensions would I need for night/day cages? Do you have any brand suggestions? (I've read King Cages is good, and I've already checked out their website a bit - I would probably be easily persuaded in their favor!)

Also, is there anything I can get so that the bird may settle down, almost like in a nest? (if it's possible for me to offer something like that without the bird getting hormonal - which birds get that way?) Or are birds supposed to stand all the time?

Edit;; Also, what's the ideal bar spacing for all of the previously mentioned birds/any birds you suggest?

Thank you in advance for any answer/advice/other you send my way :D
EmberSanja
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck, Budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: Night Cage/Day Cage?

Postby Wolf » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:21 am

It sounds like you have a really nice cage, but the bar spacing is too wide for a budgie or a cockatiel. I would think that 1/2 inch would be ideal, but you might be able to get by with 5/8 inch spacing with them. The cage that you have is for a medium sized or large parrot.
Many people have two cages for their birds, one in a place that is separated from the main traffic areas of their house that they put their birds in so that they can sleep undisturbed by the lights and noise that we humans make with our semi nocturnal lifestyles. This is often referred to as a sleep cage. The other cage is for when the bird is up and placed where the bird can watch us and be a part of our daily daytime activities. They do not require two cages to be happy and healthy.
There are many products that you can get depending on the size of your bird up to and including nest boxes, but again they do not require them, some of the smaller one especially like such things but most of them sleep on a perch, same as in the wild.
I do not recommend to people what species of parrot that they should or should not get and try only to recommend that they try to get a bird from a rescue as opposed to a pet store or a breeder as there are many adult birds available that need a good home. They were usually purchased from pet stores or breeders and when they went through puberty, people got rid of them, due to the natural changes that they go through at that time. Baby birds will almost all find a home and it encourages breeders to continue overbreeding and the result are all of the birds in rescues, so it contributes to a major problem. Getting an adult bird from a rescue help to solve this problem and the bird that chooses you and that you accept is the bird that you will have for the rest of its life as it has already gone through its changes.
Although I try to not get involved any more than what I have already said, I will say this much. An African Grey Parrot is a wonderful bird, I know this as one of them blesses me with it presence and affections, but they are not a beginners bird as they require a lot of time and patience in their care. In addition to being highly intelligent they are also highly emotional birds and are prone to being hormonal and because of this are also prone to feather picking and self mutilation. They are really not a beginners bird.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby EmberSanja » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:58 am

Thank you for your reply! :D

The cage mentioned would be bought for a larger bird if we were to get them - I have a smaller cage for a budgie/cockatiel that's currently packed in a corner of my garage that I am going to measure as soon as I can.
Could I only have one cage if I follow the solar schedule? I would definitely do so if I can keep the bird in my room, where I spend the majority of my time (otherwise I could get another cage as a day cage in the living room and the night cage could be in my room)
Thank you for the rescue idea! I hadn't actually considered it despite hearing rescue stories a few times, and have already found multiple places in my state for rescues :) However, my family is currently remodeling so there will be zero birds in the house for a while (and even less so a rescue one due to possible health issues and house inspections). I can barely stand the dust and fumes, and I would never put a feathered friend through that!
Yes, I know birds like African Greys are not for beginners. I definitely don't want to start with a bird like that because my father is getting older and my brother and I will be going to college in a few years, and my mother would probably not dedicate the time in any situation. I'd also like one with a shorter life span so that my father and I won't have to argue about placement after I move out - we'd both really want the bird! However, my father is a very stubborn man and uses the "logic" that he's had small birds all his life - why would he want another? While that is already a terrible reason to jump to large birds, I mentioned that even budgies need fresh fruit/veggies in their diet, and he had no idea! I don't think someone like that should even try to take on a large bird :(
Any tips on how to convince my father we need to start smaller? Is there maybe a medium bird that's slightly more challenging than budgies but not as much so as Amazons or African Greys? If we do get a larger bird, do you think I could teach my father many of the necessities within two years?

Thank you again! :budgie:
EmberSanja
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:03 pm

Hmmm, there are several small parrots that would 'fit' the requirements you mention but most of them are either VERY needy (like GCCs) or more like aviary birds (like linnies or bourkes). In your case and given the fact that you will be leaving the parrot behind in a couple of years, I would opt for the aviary ones and more than one so they have each other which reduces stress and makes them happy. The reason I say this is because if the bird bonds with you and has no companion of its own, it will grieve when you leave. A lot of people want an interactive bird, one that talks, does tricks, etc but the problem with this is that even species known for their ability to talk have lots and lots and lots of individuals that never say a single word. As to interactive, this is a characteristic of birds that bond deeply with humans as they were separated from their parents when babies and tricked into imprinting with humas but these happen to be the ones that tend to choose one human over all the others and either pretty much ignore the others or attack them out of jealousy. So, in my personal opinion, you should get a pair of aviary birds, put them in a large flight cage and slowly establish a routine with them (diet, solar schedule, etc) that will slowly make your father realize that, in reality, he does not know that much about birds -and mind you, this is not a criticism! I, myself, have been involved in bird care since I was 8 years old (over 50 years ago!) and the more I learn about them, the more I realize that I did not know anything at all back then and know still very little today.

Rosy bourkes are calm birds that get along very well with their companions, hardy, easy to feed and keep and they are absolutely BEAUTIFUL!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby EmberSanja » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:25 pm

Thanks for your suggestions!

With the college situation, I will probably be going to a college nearby so I will be able to stay at home, since I'm a bit frugal and prefer to save money where I can (in this case, saving the money of an apartment or dorm.) I would hope that would mean I would have a good amount of time to spend with my bird, since I will be home every morning and night and probably some afternoons due to sporadic scheduling. Would you still suggest aviary birds, even with that information and the fact that my father will likely be as much of a caretaker as I throughout the bird's life? (he's only around 55 so shouldn't develop many/any problems that will affect his bird care abilities) I am also going to college for many years, anywhere around 8-12, so if we get a budgie/a bird with a shorter lifespan like a budgie, s/he may very well die before I graduate or actually move out. Even if s/he is still alive, I would try not to take him/her out of the house s/he grew up in, so my father will have him/her the remainder of his/her life.

For the time being, I will research more aviary birds :D I love all the possibilities!

Edit;; Also the talking part is pretty important to my dad. I realize that it's up to the individual birds and that even budgies can mimic sounds and such but he's the type of person who thinks the bigger the better and things like that. He also doesn't listen well to talk so I would have to teach by doing things and physically showing him. That's another reason a rescue bird might be good- if my father can't handle it the same place may take the bird back, unlike most breeders
EmberSanja
Lovebird

Postby EmberSanja » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:54 pm

Today my mother and I went to the "exotic" animal store. There were two amazons, two macaws, three cockatiels, six or so finches, and lots of budgies. I was really excited and loved to see them, and the store worker mentioned they're getting weaned baby cockatiels in a few weeks! That should give my family some time to get the supplies, and finish the remodeling. They are also willing to put animals on hold for a while so we should have plenty of time to discuss and possibly prepare :D they have our number and will call when the babies come in.

Both the amazons and one of the macaws could talk. My mother really liked the blue fronted Amazon because it was a rescue bird and she's drawn to that stuff, so I'll also be bringing up the rescue possibility, though my father wants a baby so he or she will be with us his or her whole life, and my father usually gets his way because we hate to listen to his constant arguing.

The worker said she owned seven birds of her own but was recommending things like flooding and it greatly upset me because my mother was agreeing and I was afraid to contradict her because people would assume I'm obviously not as informed as this bird owner and animal store worker. I'm going to make sure that any bird I get will be able to be their own individual and my family will treat them as such. Now I just need the bird so I can keep that promise! :greycockatiel:
EmberSanja
Lovebird

Postby Wolf » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:07 pm

I don't normally give a flying .........what anyone thinks of or about me, but it is usually better to avoid hassles than to run roughshod into and over them, so you did good by holding your peace at the store. But it is wise to bear in mind that the majority of the store representatives don't know that much any way.
I am not sure about your dad but, if I had one, I think that I would tell him that while you respect his opinion that you are getting the bird for yourself and not for him, if he wants to control what bird is bought and how it is to be treated to just go and get his own bird.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby EmberSanja » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:51 pm

Thanks for replying again!

My father is the type of man to live by "my house, my rules" and often tells me I can move out any time. This is because we often have differing opinions and he is occasionally unable to properly control his anger and angry responses. However, my mother is now a bit excited about the bird possibility and will be helping me convince him to get a smaller bird such as the cockatiels. Actually, in her mind, we're already getting one of the babies :lol: She's wary about adoption despite being drawn to birds who have sad back stories because of how many questions presented and the prices some adoption places are asking. Perhaps when I do live on my own I will adopt some birds myself! I'd really like to help birdies in need :danicing:
EmberSanja
Lovebird

Postby Wolf » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:29 pm

I understand as I have seen this attitude many time before and it is such a shame and a waste to be carrying about all that unresolved anger. So all I can say is good luck and hope that your mom can help you on this.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:38 am

Be careful with the amazons, if they are males, unless you know what you are doing, they tend to get aggressive.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Next

Return to Housing