Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Outdoor aviary

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Outdoor aviary

Postby jparrothead » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:22 pm

Hello all,

I'm hoping for advice on an Outdoor Aviary for green cheek conures. Something that could last for (at least) several years, be used 9 months a year (covered in winter), for at least a few hours a day, and that would work safely and happily. Oh yeah, and can't cost thousands of dollars!!!

I found this one: [url]http://www.amazon.com/The-Portico-Aviary-21981A-Auburn/dp/B00CMFTFEI/ref=pd_sbs_petsupplies_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0PKYD4H769G5V5FYQ5AW
[/url]

It is a good size, has the separate walk in safety room, and is not too outrageously expensive or big.
But what about the mesh wiring? And the wood? Would a conure or similar parrot chew right through that? Is it safe for them?

Of course I would pile in loads of fund chew toys, toys, etc, and I'll always be nearby so, it's not to be his main housing arrangement--that will be his main day cage, where he will eat, nap, play by himself. But this is sort of my dream, to have a large outdoor aviary, next to where I work outside most of the day most of the year.

Here's another, though not a 'walk-in': [url]http://www.amazon.com/TRIXIE-Pet-Products-Aviary-Birdcage/dp/B0057G3WHU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1N17K5BN1B9R8RZG68H9
[/url]

Thanks!
jparrothead
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheeked Conure (Yellow-Sided)
Flight: No

Re: Outdoor aviary

Postby cml » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:58 pm

My main concern would be the net, if it's zinc treated net as it looks, then stay far away from it please.
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:18 pm

When it comes to aviaries, you get what you pay for and when it is big, you pay a lot. Just something to keep in mind. A travel cage or harness can achieve a similar goal at a fraction of the dollar price but a substantial premium in time.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby jparrothead » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:27 pm

Thanks Michael.

I have a smaller, portable cage (I use a travel cage for a third sleep cage), and I am going to start training on Aviator harness now that flight wings are growing in. But as I am outside so much, and I am concerned about both safety of the bird (raptors, etc) and keeping it happy outdoors, and want to consider this option too.

Not sure what to make of the mesh-wire material of these aviaries.
jparrothead
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheeked Conure (Yellow-Sided)
Flight: No

Postby muskan » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:16 am

very nice post
muskan
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: dasdasdasdsadasd

Postby Wolf » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:27 am

I also really want a walk in type aviary for my birds and the wire mesh is the hardest part of the materials to come up with for me. I have found a place to buy stainless steel wire mesh it is a 3 foot width and is a 100 foot roll for around $700.00 plus shipping. I don't know if they ship out of the US but would check and let you know if you are interested. Right now it is a bit more than I can afford.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:41 am

You can't use this aviary for parrots. The mesh is galvanized (a no-no with birds that chew) and the wood is treated for outdoor use (toxic). This is meant for finches or canaries but I would not house any of my passerines in a cage made out of chicken coop mesh (it messes up their primaries and it's real hard to find containers that you can hook on it -and I know because my cardinals came in a very large cage like this one and I HATE IT!!!).

And you cannot leave a little bird outside without supervision. If you want your bird to be happy, get him/her a mate, get yourself a nice, large flight cage for them and place it in front of a window were the sun shines in.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Housing