Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Scared bird???

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Scared bird???

Postby liz » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:12 pm

The breeder needs to suffer physical pain.

Why did you move him from the great outside to the laundry room. I keep my caged birds in the most active room where even the dogs are entertainment for them.

I have been putting the caged birds outside between 9 and 12 in the morning when it is not to hot so they can get some fresh air and sunshine. I don't leave the house or leave them alone. (An owl tried to get my cockatiels when they were in the sunroom so I don't turn my back on them.)
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Tman007 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:52 am

Rebecca I have a few things that might help shed some light on things. As for moving her and her getting scared, a lot of times we may look at things ad think nothing of it. But for your parrot it is a big thing. Sometimes the littlest thing can scare them. You said you put her in the laundry room it could have be the washer and dryer they are really big. We may not see it that way but that might have been what it was. Or something as simple as a shirt hanging. As for spending time with your parrot. Let me give you a run down on my time. I work nights and sleep during the day. I get home at 7:15am I feed my 18year old cat and then I clean up and change my clothes, into my bird shirt I go in to the bird room and wake up the guys, I say good morning to them, an set he room up. I have a cover over the window blocking out most of the light. I live in Las Vegas and the strip is some what close to my house, and the lights from the strip shine in the window. With the street light and yard lights, it get pretty bright in the room. Then I let them out I give them some loving and spend some time with them, I will do a little training about 10 to 15 minutes. Then I give them fresh water and food. Then I go and eat. after that I will go in and clean out their cages and talk to them and spend a few minutes with them then I go to bed. At this time I put on some soft music, I found out when I go to bed my house is to quiet. The parrots don't like quite. Then around 1:00pm I get up to use the bathroom ( I am old LOL) so I give the parrots some veggies or fruit and get them out for a few minutes and give hem some loving. then I go back to bed. At 5:00pm I get up again and I give them their evening meal, and more loving and out of cage time. I do this every work day. They are use to this routine. At 6:00pm I turn of the light and just let the light form out side light the room, until the sun goes down and then at 7:30 pm I close the window and cover it and they go to bed. It's not how much time you give her but the quality of time you give her. I also want to thank you for working with special needs kids, and keep up the good work.
Have a good day :gcc: :jenday:
It takes a great man to give advice tactfully
But a greater to accept it graciously

Logan Pearsall Smith
Tman007
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Galah (rose breasted cockatoo)
Cockatiel

Postby CSLFiero » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:20 pm

as mean as it sounds, i like loxley being a little scared some times. It's good IMO to introduce birds to many conditions. Loxley always responds the same, he's scared, he runs away from the thing/environment/person. I don't shove it on him, but I don't let him never see it again.

Birds are convincible in two ways. in one way, many of them are very naturally curious and will fight their own fear to get a better look at something new. this will happen naturally in due time.

secondly they can be emboldened by a desire to be with you and do what you're doing. Loxley can often be convinced to introduce himself to a new thing by little more than me interacting with that new thing or go into a new place by threat of being left behind without me.

After a while with enough exposure, the problem then becomes when a bird becomes TOO comfortable with things! (nibbling wires, guests, and poking about areas he could get stuck or hurt.)

the important thing to take away is that fear isn't bad aside from also being totally normal and that you're both gonna live a long time, so don't rush things.
CSLFiero
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Jardine's

Previous

Return to Housing