Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Housing a Second bird?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Housing a Second bird?

Postby Lia and Sky » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:37 am

I have had sky for about 3 years now, my little pied budgie, and I'm thinking about getting a second bird, something small like a budgie, cockatiel or a lovebird. But I've heard people say that if I get a budgie friend for sky, she won't want to be with me anymore. We're pretty well bonded and she loves to hang around with me and learn new tricks. Maybe I should keep the new budgie in a separate cage? but how would that effect noise levels, and would they just go try to be with eachother when I let them out of the cage? I'm having these same thoughts with a cockatiel or a lovebird, however, if I was getting a different species of bird, I would definitely need a separate cage. Would really appreciate your imput guys. thanks :)
Lia and Sky
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: Housing a Second bird?

Postby Harpmaker » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:39 pm

Welcome to the forum, Lia and Sky!

If you buy two budgies it is true that they will be more interested in each other than in you. Sky is already bonded to you, though, and will remain so unless you ignore her. As a bonus, her new buddy may bond with you more quickly, since it can see that Sky trusts you.

Usually you need a new cage to have a new bird because they are territorial and won't normally share even a cage large enough for two. Sort of like how two people who get married are better off finding a third place to move in together, rather than moving in to either of the current domiciles. Budgies are usually an exception to this rule. If your cage is big enough, and especially if you get Sky a potential mate, you can probably move him on in. Supervise as much as possible at first, in case you have an exception to the exception, but go for it. Budgies are very social birds.
Harpmaker
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Meyer's Parrot

Postby Lia and Sky » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:07 am

Thanks for ur reply. If I get a second budgie I intend to get a larger cage and quarantine the new bird. What about keeping two different species in the same room but different cages? Do you think i will have any problems there?
Lia and Sky
Parakeet

Postby Wolf » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:09 am

I have four birds all of them different species in the same room.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Lia and Sky » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:18 am

Wolf wrote:I have four birds all of them different species in the same room.

When you have them out do they bother eachother? Like go over to the other ones cage?
Lia and Sky
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:22 am

Whether they do or don't depends on the species. A lone budgie will usually bother a tiel or a lovie, it's the way they are.

I vote for another budgie. I think it's actually cruel to have only one of the little species (tiels, budgies, lovies, plets, linnies, etc)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Harpmaker » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:47 pm

Having multiple species in separate cages is bad if there is a significant size disparity. Similar sizes can run into individual feuds, but not usually with the little guys. But please do not get a single love bird. They NEED to be in pairs. Most birds are better in pairs, but lovies require it. That's why they call them love birds.
Harpmaker
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Meyer's Parrot

Postby Wolf » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:53 pm

The Senegal is the smallest one that is out with the two larger birds and these three do ok together, but the little parrotlet is only out on me or in her bubble, I am looking for a mate for her. But, the truth be told, if I need to leave the house then they are all in their cages, so they are only out when I am available to be with them.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby DanaandPod » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:25 pm

I have a huge and awesome cage for my two budgies. I was thinking of getting another pair and adding to their cage. With their own separate upper perch of course. After reading this thread, I'm guessing that's not a good idea after all?
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby Wolf » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:34 pm

I am not so sure about that, Dana. Budgies are very flock oriented and although you may need to make sure that you have equal numbers of males and females and you may have to keep the pairs in a separate cage until the younger ones reach maturity, I would think that you would be able to put four Budgies together in a large enough cage. That is after quarantine and proper introductions of course. I will be happy to double check on that to be sure and get back with you on it. Or someone that has more experience than I could pop up with the answer for you.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Next

Return to Housing