Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

which cage would be better?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

which cage would be better?

Postby mulatte27 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:13 pm

trying to figure out which cage is a better fit... my sun is currently in an 18x18xi think 24... he seems fine with this cage, however I recently acquired a larger cage that a friend had and gave to me. my only concern with the larger cage is that the seed catching trays are lower than on the current cage... I like that the current cage has higher trays because it helps detract my cats from messing with the cage... here is a photo of them side to side... would love some input... and the new cage has only a few things in it as I cannot take the other stuff out of the current cage before I make my decision

Applejack :sun:
mulatte27
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Male Sun Conure
Flight: No

Re: which cage would be better?

Postby Wolf » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:01 pm

If you have the room put the smaller cage out of the normal flow of traffic, someplace quiet and where lights from being up past the birds bedtime would not be a problem and use it for a sleep cage. Use the other, larger cage as the main cage and place it near the most active part of the house where the bird can see most of what goes on during the day. Some place near where you spend the most time during the day. If you have room for only one cage go with the larger one.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby mulatte27 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:13 am

I can keep the big cage downstairs where it is and the small one can go upstairs in the extra bedroom. I can always close the door to keep it quiet and the cats out. Should the sleep cage also have food? I kinda figure no matter what it should have water. And can I move some of the toys and perches from the small one to the big one since it will be used for sleeping?
mulatte27
Lovebird

Postby Wolf » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:51 am

I don't have the space for a sleep cage, but if I did , it would have toys and water and my birds would get their evening meal in it just before they are ready to go to sleep. I would leave a couple of perches in the sleep cage and rotate 2 or 3 different toys .
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:17 am

Yep, water and dinner and maybe a toy or two in the sleep cage as they are not really necessary late in the evening or early in the morning. And definitely go with the larger cage, the smaller one is too small for a sun conure and, if you want it higher to keep the cats from reaching (the bird will like it much much better, too!), just put it on something (wooden base, box, square end table, etc).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby mulatte27 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:18 pm

Ok so I set up the new cage downstairs and he seems to really like it... especially one specific corner hahaha... but I tried to use the smaller cage for sleep and he is still so shy about coming out that I think it traumatized him. He wouldn't come out this morning on his own and I had just the bare necessities in the sleep cage so I felt I had to get him to the one downstairs. Tonight he has only come out of the cage once and is being very shy... and quite sassy... I tried just sitting on the floor near the cage and using the clicker and his favorite treat and he won't even come close to the door... I'm just going to let him sleep in the big one for now until I can get him more willing to come out again... does that sound like a decent plan?
mulatte27
Lovebird

Postby Cage Cleaner » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:08 am

K
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Pajarita » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:38 am

Yes, it does sound like a good plan. Easy does it with parrots.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:40 am

Perfect, if he doesn't want to come out, don't force the issue, just let him come out when he is ready on his own.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby mulatte27 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:54 am

Thanks wolf and pajarita. .. it's cute to see his personality coming out now that he is getting more comfortable... i find myself asking him if he is wearing his sassy pants lol... and he definitely gives the cats sass when they get too close to the cage... which makes me feel better regarding the trays bei ng lower because they hate when he screams so they back off quickly.
mulatte27
Lovebird

Next

Return to Housing