Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Both cages are READY for the new edition!

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Both cages are READY for the new edition!

Postby Peyton » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:37 pm

Image.jpg
Daytime Cage
(11.51 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
Image 1.jpg
Sleep Cage
(10.52 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
Don't be intimidated into conformity, take your rightful place in the spectrum and LOVE IT.
Peyton
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey
Flight: Yes

Re: Both cages are READY for the new edition!

Postby Wolf » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:03 pm

Just a couple of things to help you and your bird. Take the smooth dowel out and carve it up so that it has an uneven surface or find some birch or white pie tree branches to make perches from leaving the bark on for the bird to chew on. Consider getting some perches like these http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=15079

They will help trim your birds nails and also help him sharpen his beak .
And second thing is try placing a perch up high in your sleep cage as most birds prefer to perch as high as possible when they go to sleep.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:45 am

Yep, what Wolf said plus get some more chewing stuff.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Peyton » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:46 am

Great advice, thanks. I have some Nu perches that are, I believe, what you are recommending. I have some whittling knives and sandpaper that will make correcting that an easy task. As far as the toys and the perch in the sleep cage go, I was concerned about overwhelming the little fella' and I have put several different height perches in both cages now. We were a little over zealous and have a box full of toys and toy making stuff. We have found that toy making is a great family activity. The only drawback is I am a little picky about spacing and things I fear may be an accident waiting to happen. I guess I will have to experience the acrobat in action before i relax my standards. That being said, poses the question, "should I add more toys now or after my parrot has settled in? " I have to say that I have read several "parrot" books, some just about natural parrots but most about training but there is no substitute for actual experience. Thats why this forum and contributing members are so helpful. Thanks again.
Don't be intimidated into conformity, take your rightful place in the spectrum and LOVE IT.
Peyton
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:21 am

I hardly ever use any real toys... I have a couple of tiels and budgies that like to pull on the 'plucking' kind but that's about it. My birds would much rather peel the bark off a natural tree branch, pluck leaves off it and chew the end of the little branches shortening them until they reach the main branch and chew either wood or cardboard than anything else. My grays would not look twice at a toy but would go to town on a nice, stiff cardboard box like there was no tomorrow :D
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Aliraza183 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:30 am

Oak is listed on the toxic woods list due to its tannic acid content, so it is not safe for your bird.?????
USMAN
Aliraza183
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 50
Types of Birds Owned: aaaaaaaaaaa

Postby Wolf » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:27 am

Aliraza183 wrote:Oak is listed on the toxic woods list due to its tannic acid content, so it is not safe for your bird.?????

True ! try white pine, yellow is not a good choice, fir, lilac, even rose bushes can provide a good, if short lived perch for your bird.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:34 am

What is it with cardboard boxes? Rambo turns them into mulch. He squeals with excitement when I give him a new one.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Housing